Windows Technical Preview

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by George1, Oct 1, 2014.

1. pjstrand

pjstrand Bit poster

Hey Guy_Clark.... Where do I find "Virtual Machine Settings"?... I see preferences and configure, but not settings...

2. pjstrand

pjstrand Bit poster

Ok.. I did figure that out.... I cannot free my cursor from Windows 10... Anyone else experiencing that?

3. Chris_Johnson1

Chris_Johnson1 Bit poster

Definitely going to give that a try.

4. JayJayR

JayJayR Bit poster

I used the recommended settings: Other Windows, 1 GB RAM, 2 codes, 64 GB HD, and did not have any other VMs open when installing. Install went smoothly. Then I changed from Windows Other to Windows 8.1, and tried to do a manual install of Parallels Tools, which failed a few times. So I shut down the Windows 10 VM, closed Parallels, and when I re-launched Parallels and the Win 10, the Parallels Tools icon (yellow warning sign) showed up in the upper right, and I clicked on the What do you want to do now? banner and chose the Install Parallels Tools option, and they installed fine. BTW I am running 32-bit Win 10 Tech Preview.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Hey guys,
    Maybe I can help, the problem when installing Windows 10TP is just with the drivers for the SATA locations, there's no need to set 'Other Windows', you can set it to 'Windows 8.1' right from the start, then choose to customise before installing, change the DVD and HDD1 to IDE.

Note: Setting to 'Other Windows' works because one of the things it changes is SATA to IDE.

MarkA3 and mmika like this.
  6. Matt_Perkins

Matt_Perkins Bit poster

I have it installed, but I can't get Parallels tools to install. There is no action to in the menus and when I mount the ISO from the app bundle, it errors out at about 15% and wants me to reboot the VM. Over and over again. I don't have the VM configured at default specs, but have all of them bumped up a bit.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Don't do it the hard way, select from the Parallels top menu, Install Parallels Tools, this will mount the ISO, if it doesn't start automatically, navigate in explorer to the Parallels Tools 'DVD' and doubleclick autorun.

(The OS type should be set to Windows 8.1)

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

How to install Windows 10TP (32/64 bit) as a VM on Parallels Desktop (9/10)

1. Create a new VM and select the ISO.
    2. Set it to Windows 8.1
    3. Choose to customise the VM before starting the installation and change the HDD1 and the DVD from SATA to IDE (addresses 0:0 and 0:1, respectively).
    4. When the installation is over, pick 'Install Parallels Tools' from the top menu of the VM.
    5. Navigate to the 'Parallels Tools' DVD in Windows' File Explorer and double click on 'autorun'.

Guy_Clark likes this.
  9. Matt_Perkins

Matt_Perkins Bit poster

I swear that wasn't there last time! :) Either way, installed and working now, thanks!

10. Mahmud_Rahman

Mahmud_Rahman Bit poster

Hi,
    I am on Parallels Desktop 8 and having Load Driver message. Please help!

w10tper.png

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You are running PDM 8, my instructions clearly state versions 9 and 10.
    I think the instructions are very clear, if changing SATA to IDE doesn't work (did you actually do that?), I cannot help.

12. Mahmud_Rahman

Mahmud_Rahman Bit poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I know your instructions were for PDM 9/10. But I thought you could help me with this problem with PDM 8. Also I did follow your instructions (changing the SATA etc..) Please help me if there is any way.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

As I said, I can't help you.

14. Guy_Clark

Guy_Clark Bit poster

Excellent. Even more straightforward than my previous workaround :)

15. EdgardL

EdgardL Bit poster

this doesn't work for me and I can't install Parallels Tools on Win 10 Tech preview 32bit. It works fine on x64... but not 32bit. On 32 the Parallels Tools installation fails at around 20%... Anyone else able to install Parallels Tools on Tech Preview 32bit version?

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes, I am, my instruction have been tested on 32bit.

17. EdgardL

EdgardL Bit poster

ok, gonna try a new iso... the one that downloads from Parallels automatically is on 64bit.

18. EdgardL

EdgardL Bit poster

No go on 32 bit. Downloaded a fresh 32 bit image (both regular and Enterprise versions from microsoft). Set the version to be Windows 8.1 and HD/CD to IDE 0:0 and 0:1 respectively and then installed the OS. Once finished I ran Parallels Tools and installation failed. The same process works perfectly for x64.... please help.

19. EdgardL

EdgardL Bit poster

new version of Parallels came out and I still can't install parallels tools on the 32bit version for windows 10... also tried the newest build for 10 TP and it installs fine on 64bit but not 32.

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes, I noticed this also on the new Parallels version, you now don't need to change SATA to IDE and you have a Windows 10 OS type, but tools fail to install on 32 bit.

21. MarkA3

MarkA3 Bit poster

If you are having the driver error when trying to install Windows 10, this is your answer.