XP Boot Camp installation of XP broken by Parallels fault?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Milamber_Cubed, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Milamber_Cubed

Milamber_Cubed Junior Member

Hi All,

I've been running my boot camp installation of XP under parallels for a while without any problems. Recently, parallels locked up while I was in the process of shutting down the virtual machine running from my hard drive. I left the window open for something like 20 to 30 minutes but nothing happened so I had to force parallels to quit.

To check if any permanent damage was done I tried to restart parallels and it loaded up my XP without any problems. I then shut down my mac book pro and tried a native boot. This did not work. It complained about a faulty \windows\system32\hal.dll file and that it couldn't boot. So I rebooted into OS X and put the hal.dll from a working XP (also SP2) install into the mounted windows partition (FAT 32, thankfully) and then tried a native XP boot again. No error message this time, but the blue progress bar locked up at some point into the boot process and the system just sat there with the fans getting progressively louder.

Now, I CAN get the system to boot into safe mode but the keyboard and mouse don't work so I can't even log in. I managed after tapping F8 many, many times to get the system to save a boot log, which I have attached for your viewing pleasure, but I don't really know if it tells me soemthing that will help me.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix for this problem other than a repair install etc?

Attached Files:

2. DsurioN

DsurioN Junior Member

I have the exact same problem, which seems to have surfaced with the latest version. When you are booting windows xp natively with boot camp, you will see a little menu flash for about a second before you get the hal.dll error. You'll see there are two choices, "Parallels Configuration" and "Windows XP Professional/Home". Make sure you select the windows xp one and the system should boot fine. Previously this was all done automatically but I think the latest version introduced this bug.

3. Milamber_Cubed

Milamber_Cubed Junior Member

Ah, should have been clear that I am using the 2.5 (?) version and this options menu doesn't pop up. I know the one you mean though - it DOES appear for me when booting XP from within parallels, as is the desired behaviour.

Anyone else have any ideas what's going on? So far as I can tell Parallels replaces certain windows files when it starts it up and should change them back when you shut down the VM. Obviously my parallels got interrupted in the middle of shutting down so the files weren't all swapped back correctly. I have replaced the HAL.dll since it was complaining about it but I can't seem to find a list of what files might have been affected that could be causing this problem. If I knew which files they were then I could try and revert to working DLLs.

4. sirithx

sirithx Bit poster

I have the same problem, when I use Boot Camp the Parallels Configuration gives me the hal.dll error, but holding F5 and choosing to boot to "Windows XP Professional" takes me to the Windows XP loading screen, then after it seems to load it just goes black and does nothing. The same thing happens if I try to boot my Boot Camp partition in Parallels in OS X. Safe Mode doesn't work either for me, it just lists a ton of files that it's loading in dos and then just stops and does nothing. So basically I can't access my Boot Camp partition at all, no matter what I do. I'm using Parallels 3.0 build 4560. Any help would really be appreciated.