Maya & other apps in Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by frostfyre@frostfyre.com, Jun 18, 2007.

1. frostfyre@frostfyre.com

frostfyre@frostfyre.com Bit poster

Hi folks,

I found to my chagrin that Autodesk Maya versions 7.0-8.5 do not function correctly under parallels 3.0. While they did function (slowly) on Parallels 2, 3.0 causes the GUI to cease loading. Scripted mode is fine.

In better news, Softimage XSI 6 works just fine, as does Zbrush 3. As an artist for a game company, it would be great to have all of my apps working, but thankfully, Maya does have a Mac native build. Certain plugins will not work, however.

Running Parallels 3.0 on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon x1600, 256mb VRAM. OSX 10.4.9

2. neilford

neilford Junior Member

Have you ever received a reply about this? I posted a month ago and no reply. I emailed the tech support and no reply. Did you revert back to Parallels 2.0? Thanks.

neilford

3. frostfyre@frostfyre.com

>crickets<

I've received no reply, and have been forced to use a dedicated windows box for Maya tasks, as I don't know where to find the binary for the previous version of parallels. Maya (all versions) is still broken in the current build. Zbrush works just fine, as does Softimage XSI 6.

4. neilford

neilford Junior Member

I reverted back to build 2.x build 3188, to be specific, and both Max and Maya work in OpenGL mode. I am still testing, but this is very good for me. Zbrush worked in 3.0 and I expect it works in 2.x, even though I havent tested it yet.

neilford

5. frostfyre@frostfyre.com

Updating

Neilford, where did you find the binary for 3188? It's worth noting that on build 4560 Maya will launch again, but is unusable because the 3D display is not rendered correctly.

6. neilford

neilford Junior Member

I am sorry, I went away before you posted this. Did you find 3188? There is a slightly
    newer version, 3214, I think, that gives better usb for Parallels 2.5. I don't remember
    remeber where I got it. I will check when I get home, if you need it still.

neilford