Boot camp and PD 10?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bfindlay, Oct 3, 2014.

1. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

I have windows 7 installed in a boot camp version. PD 9 created a VM out of the boot camp partition - it works fine. However, Windows 7 will not allow both installs to be activated. For the past several months I have been running in PD9 only - however I would like to be able to boot natively into Win7 for games.

If I upgrade to PD10 is there a way to try again to import the boot camp partition so that it actually passes Microsoft security check in parallels and Boot camp? I have posted this issue several times before - and was told that it SHOULD work, but it simply doesn't.

If I go into boot camp - re-activate windows, then uninstall parallels tools. Boot back into the mac, delete the virtual machine. Then install PD 10 and create a new virtual machine from the Win7 boot camp partition - will this work? Will Microsoft allow this install to run in both boot camp and parallels without crippling it, and making me re-enter the code every single time I switch?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There is no difference between pdm9 and 10 in this matter. You just need to follow the reactivation instructions and call MS saying that you are running a virtual machine with Windows on the same machine windows is installed via Bootcamp.

Your windows license is probably OEM which doesnt allow transfer to another machine, and that's why you need to justify it's the same physical machine.

3. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Thanks for the response. Yes it is OEM. And yes I followed your instructions - rebooted into Boot camp. Got the 'you need to activate' dialog. Called Microsoft help. He had me run SLUI 4 and generate a string on numeric codes. I explained exactly what my issue was - he assured me it would work. I got the new string of codes to enter. Fine.

Rebooted into parallels - checked activation status - activated! Hey looks good.

Back to Boot camp - loading....black screen - you need to enter a valid product id. So I am right where I was (this is now with PD10).

Did not enter/validate windows. Restarted in Mac OSX. Launched parallels, Now getting the same 'windows not genuine' with a black screen.

Unable to seamlessly use both products at once. (or in fact at all at this point).

-very, very frustrated.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Did you test on bootcamp before switching to parallels? I mean, rebooting Bootcamp.
    I have no other recommendation than the one I already gave of calling MS, this is the relevant KB article from Parallels: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9703

I don't know what's wrong with your Windows installation, you might want to submit a problem report, I know from experience that even with OEM licenses the activation works and you get permanently activated on both sides.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

6. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Ahh - your last post helped! I had NOT tried consecutively rebooting into Boot Camp. When I did - it would fail. Ok, so the problem is in windows. (seemed to be related to the software protection service not running properly) I reinstalled the Windows 7 from CD. Then spent hours updating everything via windows update till there where none left. All reboots worked fine (i.e. windows showed as activated). Did a boot into Macosx and then back to boot camp. Still good.

Back to OSX, launched parallels 10, windows showed up fine - activation states shows as 'you have 3 days to activate'. So I think I am on track. Just want to confirm what the winning move is from here. The KB article suggests that windows be working in parallels first - then activate boot camp by calling. I have the exact reverse scenario. Should I just activate it within parallels? Will I have to re-activate it in Boot camp?

Am on the doorstep - but after 2 years of no success, and several hours of mucking with windows yesterday - I am nervous about how to proceed.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You have the 'exact reverse scenario'!? How so?
    I can only recommend that you follow the KB.

8. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Just meant that is activated in boot camp, but not parallels.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

And why didn't you follow the order in the KB article if your started from a fresh install?

Again, I can only recommend what the article says, I have no personal experience with your specific scenario, if you activate on the VM now, it may or may not work, I can't predict that.

10. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Ummmmm I didn't follow the procedure because windows popped up a modal dialog during install demanding activation.

That said, it is fixed now -you're suggestion about there being a problem in the windows installed in boot camp pointed me in the right direction. I would suggest adding that advice to the kb document.

Thanks for your help!