Microphone not working with Win8.1 and Lync 2013

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Christopher_Pietschmann, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Christopher_Pietschmann

Christopher_Pietschmann Bit poster

I have Windows 8.1 running in Parallels for Desktop 10 and I need to use Lync within that VM for work purposes. Also, I am running this on a late 2013 MacBook Pro if that matters.

Neither the built-in Mic or the microphone in the Apple Earbuds will work in Windows. I have verified that they absolutely work correctly under the host OSX. For some reason the only the Mic will not work within the VM, and I have the Parallels Audio Controller drivers installed.

Does anyone have any tips? I am also thinking about getting a USB Headset, but I don't know if that will work either. Please Help!

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello Christopher,

Please follow the steps as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/122748 and check if it helps you to resolve the issue.
    Feel free to reach us if you have any questions.

3. Dariusz_Rybak

Dariusz_Rybak Bit poster

Unfortunately it does not work in Parallels 10. USB headset does the trick yet does not make sense of using it instead of standard headset.

4. iduff

iduff Product Expert

I use Lync 2013 in a Win 7 PD10 VM for work, as well as Lync:mac 2011 natively. I've learned that Lync (either version) does not support Bluetooth headsets. While my problem specifics are a bit different, might you have a similar problem, i.e. might the problem be with Lync? My solution has been to buy a Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000 headset. While it's USB, with all that entails, the audio quality with that headset in Lync is great, as well as in Google Hangouts on the OS X side making POTS calls.

5. Simon_Forman

Simon_Forman Bit poster

6. iduff

iduff Product Expert

@Simon_Forman, I suspect the problem is with Lync, not Parallels. If so, the fix must come from Microsoft.