Lost network connection on virtual machine

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by stevesol, Jul 31, 2007.

1. stevesol

stevesol Bit poster

I have just set up a Windows XP virtual machine, obtained all the windows updates, installed antivirus software, VPN client, etc. Everything worked fine for several days. I started the virtual machine today and the network adaptor has lost connectivity. I can't connect to the internet on the virtual machine. The Mac OS X has no issues and can connect to the internet. What happened in my shutdown virtual machine overnight? How can I get my connectivity back???

2. phazer

phazer Hunter

Yea, I am having the "LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY" issue FREQUENTLY today, and I've done everything: reboot, change network device under "devices", repair... still goes out all the time.

3. Zarafet

Zarafet Bit poster

I'm having trouble connecting too. This was fine until I installed the Mac Software updates yesterday. Any connection?

4. Trommler

Trommler Bit poster

Same here. Mac connection is fine but XP on Parallels no longer connects to the internet. I also installed the most recent update.

5. stevesol

stevesol Bit poster

Follow-up

I tried going back to prior snapshots but no matter which old snapshot I went to or how many times I restarted the virtual machine, it didn't work. Then I restarted my MacBook Pro, did a few other things, and tried again. Lo and behold, it worked! I know that I had tried to run Parallels immediately after I saw the desktop when the connectivity was lost and had waited a while before running Parallels when it worked again. Could starting the virtual machine too early after Mac OS X boots be the issue?

6. nezermundy

nezermundy Junior Member

Yeah I am having the same problem, hope it is fixed soon...

7. higgis

higgis Bit poster

Same issue

I'm also having the same issue having just installed the Apple security update yesterday. Reinstalling the Parallels Tools had no effect. I really hope Parallels can find a quick resolution to this if so many people are having the same issue.

8. higgis

higgis Bit poster

I found what seems like a workaround to this: I swapped the VM into Bridged Ethernet mode and things now seem to be back to normal.

9. gadgetjoe

gadgetjoe Bit poster

My Shared connection went down after the Mac Update - Bridged Ethernet has solved this problem. Thanks for the info...