P10: Sharing disks between Mavericks guest and Mavericks Host

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by pfitchett, Oct 5, 2014.

1. pfitchett

pfitchett Junior Member

I have installed Mavericks into a new VM (downloaded from App Store), but seem to be unable to see any host data from within the guest system. I set sharing of all disks and also named folders in the VM config preferences, and also checks that everything was checked in the sharing button on the header bar of the VM window - but no sign of anything shared in the VM environment.
    I see a couple of other threads with a similar situation. Has anyone managed to get this working?
    Thanks

2. GC_YVR

GC_YVR Member

Works fine for me.. have you check what error message does Console (on either end) say?

3. pfitchett

pfitchett Junior Member

There is nothing visible at either end to give an error. Options is set to share all Mac volumes to VM, but can only see the VM boot disk there (in Finder or in Disk Utility). Where are the disks hiding?

4. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi,
    Please (re)install Parallels Tools on your Virtual Machine.
    Go to Virtual Machine configuration (http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287) -- Choose Hardware -- Select CD/DVD 1-- Connect to -- Choose an image file.. -- Choose Applications -- Select Parallels Desktop application -- Open -- Contents -- Resources Tools -- Choose prl-tools-mac.iso -- Open
    Open the mounted image of the disk on Finder and double-click the Guest OS Tools For Mac OS X icon to start the Parallels Tools installation.
    Please let us know how it goes.

5. pfitchett

pfitchett Junior Member

Thanks, Mervin
    I have done that. On the mounted disk image, there wasn't a Guest OS Tools For Mac OS X icon - so I used install.app, which appeared to reinstall the tools. After restarting, there is a Shared Folders item in Finder Favorites that lists Home, Applications, Documents, Parallels, Host, Dropbox, 2 external disk drives, and one disk (of 4) in a raid configuration. My SSD and 3 other internal disks are not shown. The Shared icon in the window title bar shows Connect All, All Mac disks, Share OS X folders with guest OS X, All Mac disks, Home folder, Applications, Documents and Parallels are all selected. In the VM Configure Options, Sharing is set to All disks and SmartMount (Map Mac volumes to virtual machine) is selected.
    Peter

6. pfitchett

pfitchett Junior Member

Also - just noticed, the shared Applications folder is only listing applications from keynote.app - nothing earlier!
    - curious!
    Peter