cannot FTP from within windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GaryK, May 21, 2010.

1. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

Have Parallels 5 running fine but when I try and connect to one of my FTP servers (normally use FTP Voyager but have also tried Filezilla) I can connect OK but then get

COMMAND:> TYPE A
    200 Type set to A.
    COMMAND:> PORT 10,211,55,5,5,200
    500 Invalid PORT Command.

According to my host service provider they say it seems like the host parameter of port command is not valid since ip 10.211.55.5 does not seems to be a valid host. Maybe caused by running it under Parallels.

Any advise or help would be much appreciated as to what might be causing this and how i can resolve it.

Many thanks

2. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

Does anyone have any ideas on this. Parallels tech support team ?

I can FTP perfectly well from within OSX but when I try it in windows under parallels it tries top use this 10. IP/Port address. I guess it must be a config issue but I have no idea which setting I need to change.

3. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

anyone ?

Do parallels tech support contribute to these forums or is it just for users ?

Is there any other way to get help with the product ?

4. adamscottmartin

adamscottmartin Bit poster

I'm kinda new to Parallels but I would assume it has to do with the networking config for your VM. When using shared networking it gives your VM a 10.xxx IP address. You might want to play around with the VM network settings.

5. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

hi adam - yes i think you are right. Was hoping that someone here could tell me exactly what config needs to be changed. Can't believe I am the first to have this prob.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

6. adamscottmartin

Are the FTP servers you are trying to connect to part of your company's network or are they a web service provider like GoDaddy, HostGator, etc?

If they are your company's servers you probably want to call your IT admins - they may have FTP blocked off if your IP address does not fall within a certain range, or you could be trying to connect via an invalid port.

See this article for more FTP info that may be useful:

http://www.securitypronews.com/it/networksystems/spn-21-20030917UnderstandingtheFTPPORTCommand.html

7. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

No, I am trying to FTP to my own personal webserver over the Internet from home. I can do so seamlessly from OSX but if I try from within Windows (under parallels) it connects OK but then fails on the PORT command because it tries to use the 10. addy.

Must be a config issue. Just need someone to point me in the right direction.

8. adamscottmartin

OK I'm not sure I understand yet...lets say you are sitting at home trying to FTP into your server - where is your server located - at your house or somewhere else? Did you set it up or does someone else handle the config of the server? Who is the ISP/hosting provider - someone like GoDaddy or something like a server at work?

If you didn't set up the server the first thing I would do is contact your hosting provider to see if they have any restrictions which would prevent you from connecting.

Also did you read the article I posted above? You should note that if your post command has the 10.xxx address in it, you are trying to FTP to your local computer. This would suggest to me that your FTP client is configured incorrectly and has nothing to do with the FTP. Check your FTP client settings.

9. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

No it's definately something that Parallels is doing.

I can install my FTP client under OSX and can FTP to my server with no problem.
    I can install my FTP client on a native Windows machine and again I can FTP out of the box

However if I install my FTP in windows running under parallels then it tries to connect to the 10.xxx address so Parallels must be doing something.

Again i'm sure it's just a config but I need someone to advise we what to change.

10. GaryK

GaryK Junior Member

Am I the only person that has spotted that parallels tech support only reply to questions that put the product in a good light ?

Any thread that happens to expose a flaw in the product is conveniently ignored.

Shame.

pechar likes this.
  11. pechar

pechar Junior Member

Found a solution to this (without any help from Parallels support which is the worst ever support team in history of software). The issue is that Parallels 10 is assigning weird IPs when the virtual machine is initially set. The default is Shared Network. Change this to Default Adapter in the VM settings window and reload the VM. Now the VM has standard 192.168.x.x IP and FTP now works well. Hope this helps @GaryK