Parallels Beta6 Ubuntu Networking

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by geveke, May 6, 2006.

1. geveke

geveke Bit poster

I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on Parallels Beta6 (as an 'Other Linux 2.6 Kernel') succesfully, but I can't get networking or Internet acces to work. I tried everything, from sharing te Mac's connection to 'Host only', but nothing seems to work. Any pointers?

2. aleax

aleax Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same issue, except with Dapper Drake (the latest ubuntu) in beta. I opened a dedicated thread but got no answers. The same issue shows up on BSD variants, so I posted there too; response to the thread from a Parallels engineer was that networking SHOULD work (including DHCP), and they'll investigate...

Alex

3. geveke

geveke Bit poster

I suspect it has something yo do with the "parallels-config" command that I read about, but can't find any documentation about. Afraid to get RTFM'd I searched the entire manual, but couldn't find it. Still, it can't be already in the Ubuntu install, so it has to be downloaded from somewhere, i'd think. The VMTools are greyed out, and there's nothing but Windows drivers on it. I'm obviously a newbie on Linux, but with my current understanding of it i'll probably become a neverbie...

4. boardwalk2

boardwalk2 Bit poster

networking works in ubuntu

I have instaleld both ubuntu 5.10 and 6.06 as 2 different VMs and am able to get an IP address from a DHCP server. In fact this reply is from 6.06 VM using Firefox.

5. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

I'm installed and running Ubunto 5.1 BUT I used te Debian base as my VM and all works perfectly. You might try reinstaling with Debain as you base guest OS.

HTH,
    Peter

6. Ian

Ian Junior Member

I have an Ubuntu (5.1) install also, and networking seems to work just fine. I have mine setup in bridged mode.

-Ian

7. anville

anville Junior Member

I can confirm the "Debian" selection to make Ubuntu networking function. I did my first-pass install of it as "Other linux" and I didn't have a lot of luck. Just tried it again with a new VM as Debian, and it seems work great.

What is the difference in term of the details of the VM? It it just based on trial-and-error configurations that the VM team had luck with?

8. trygve

trygve Bit poster

I can confirm that changing "Other linux 2.6 kernel" to Debian did NOT work for me.

I tried installing Dapper in a new VM which was set to "Debian" from the start, and I also changed the VM of my existing Dapper install from "Other linux kernel 2.6" to "Debian. Neither had any effect on the symptoms I'm experiencing.

My symptoms:
    I regularly use 3 wireless networks: 2 open, and 1 PEAP authenticated.
    Bridging my Macbook Pro's wireless to a Windows XP VM works just fine from all three networks.
    Bridging my wireless to both a Breezy & a Dapper VM works only from one of the open wireless networks, but neither VM has ever been able to get online from the other open network or the PEAP authenticated network.
    Changing the VM guest OS type from "Other linux kernel 2.6" to "Debian" has no apparent effect.
    Installing the guest OS while using one of the other networks does not help get it online.

Anybody have any other ideas?

9. colinscroggins

colinscroggins Bit poster

Installing 6.06 with the Debian selection did not fix the networking problem in my instance.