Parallels 10 on Mac OS X 10.10 DP6 - All Windows Guest VMs Slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Markcub, Aug 21, 2014.

1. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Because of a mix up the wife upgraded the Mac to Yosemite whilst I was at work (don't ask, she thought that is what I wanted bless her). As a consequence I have had to purchase PD10 which I didn't want to do (had PD8 previously). Now having done all that, Windows VM is running dog slow - what the heck? Nearly every programme I try to open states 'program not responding'. I am giving Windows 8.1 VM 6 gigs of RAM.

To say I'm not amused would be an understatement. Thank goodness PD10 is optimised for Yosemite.

The other issue I've got is that the VM won't close properly either. It goes to purple screen with message 'preparing to configure Windows' but never finishes.

2. AshotP

AshotP Junior Member

yup, installed Official Release (full install) since previously full install solve the issue. it worked for a while, but after reboot...everything back to super slow. still the only resolution at this moment is put computer to sleep, than wake up and all working fine (until restart)

3. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

PD10 still no better today - it has two speeds - slow and stop. Windows thinks my AV is not running and keeps nagging me to start it and whenever I come to shut down the VM Windows goes into 'configuring Windows please don't shut down'. An hour later it is still in the same mode.
    So far Apple have released iOS 8 which hasn't been their finest hour now this with Yosemite and Parallels.

Whoever is responsible needs to step up to the plate and get this issue resolved. I have paid good money for PD10 and it's basically unusable.
    Why are Parallels not making a statement regarding this issue?

4. Udo_Sperling

Udo_Sperling Bit poster

Sorry my bad english! I have the same problem with a 27" iMac i7 16Gbyte! Update Mavericks to Yosemite and Parallels to version 10. My Windows 7 in Parallels 10 is slow, stocking and stuttering! I have paid good money for PD10 and it's basically unusable (sorry for copy -:)) Please fix it! Or a workaround! A lot of users have this problem! All have Apple computer! Where is the problem?

5. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

I too am seeing a dramatic slowdown in performance. I have two Mac Systems. A Early 2012 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of Ram and 1TB of SSD space. My second system is a IMAC 27 i7 running 32 GB of ram and a mix of SSD and 7200 RPM drives. Both systems were upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite when publicly available and upgraded to latest Parallels 10 prior to Yosemite upgrade. The MacBook pro is completely usable. I get normal response from the system. My IMAC is useless now. The guest OS is a Windows 8.1 box which worked flawlessly prior to the update to Yosemite. Now post Yosemite the Parallels system seems to be crawling making all graphics rendering painful. For example asking it to display the Windows Start Screen now takes 45-90 seconds. On my mac-pro it is "normal". I have tried every option I can think of on the IMAC without success. Even using the same VM (as found on my MacBook Pro) on my IMAC is painfully slow. Whatever is causing the slow graphic response times on the IMAC has to be addressed otherwise my development environment will suffer. My IMAC used to be a joy to develop upon where as now it is downright painful.

I look forward to seeing a fix and will help in any manner possible.

6. Steve_Harper

Steve_Harper Junior Member

Hey Parallels, WAKE UP! All we're asking you is to put one little sentence in here like: "We're aware of the problem and we're doing our best to solve this problem."
    It's just common courtesy.
    Thank you Parallels.

7. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I think come Monday I am going to be asking for a refund if there's no sign of Parallels support doing anything about this issue. I'm aware this means I won't be able to use the Windows VM without PD10. However, given it's unusable anyway in it's current state, I may as well just use OS X and rely on my Windows Laptop for any Windows based work I need to do.

How many percent faster do Parallels claim PD10 to be over previous versions? What a joke.

8. Ron_Cash

Ron_Cash Bit poster

This resolved my issue.

Hello Ron,

Thank you for Contacting Parallels Support.

From your Email I understand that, your Parallels Desktop is very slow after Yosemite upgrade.

Please follow the Below steps to resolve this issue:

1. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 10 as per : http://kb.parallels.com/en/122653
    2. Repair Disk Permission, Select your MacintoshHD on the left side of the window, select "First Aid" tab on the right side.
    Click 'Repair disk permissions'.
    After this is complete, close Disk Utility.
    3. Restart your MAC computer
    4. reinstall Parallels Desktop as per : http://kb.parallels.com/en/122647

9. Ron_Cash

Ron_Cash Bit poster

Robert, Try this it fixed it for me.

Hello Ron,

Thank you for Contacting Parallels Support.

From your Email I understand that, your Parallels Desktop is very slow after Yosemite upgrade.

Please follow the Below steps to resolve this issue:

1. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 10 as per : http://kb.parallels.com/en/122653
    2. Repair Disk Permission, Select your MacintoshHD on the left side of the window, select "First Aid" tab on the right side.
    Click 'Repair disk permissions'.
    After this is complete, close Disk Utility.
    3. Restart your MAC computer
    4. reinstall Parallels Desktop as per : http://kb.parallels.com/en/122647

10. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Hello Ron,
    I have followed the instructions to the letter and it's actually made the problem worse. I'm monitoring CPU at 100%, volume is distorted, screen is either totally frozen or black screen and the whole VM is in an usable state. I have also made sure all Parallels tips for slow VM have been followed and that the prescribed boxes aren't ticked.
    Completely out of ideas now but thank goodness Parallels support are on the ball eh? :mad:

11. Udo_Sperling

Udo_Sperling Bit poster

I have followed the instructions too but it works :mad:. It's a little bit better in coherence modus...a little little bit...:(

12. Paul_Ruijgrok

Paul_Ruijgrok Bit poster

I experience the same problem(s): slow and stuttering. I have noticed that when I keep the mouse cursor moving, everything works on (nearly???) full speed.
    My machine is a Imac 21.5" with 8Gb memory. I use a trackpad in stead of a mouse. The trackpad makes it easier to keep the cursor moving but I don't think that that is the way to work. You could see this as multi tasking?

Anyway, Parallels: do come with a solution! I cannot work and I have some deadlines!

13. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I may have just found a solution to my machines problems, though I do stress - may. I uninstalled PD10 yet again but this time instead of re-installing up from version 8 to 10 I installed PD9 then PD10 over the top. This time the VM has booted straight away, volume issues appear to be resolved and speed has returned. Using Activity Monitor, the previous 101% CPU usage for the VM has now dropped to around 21%. Fingers crossed maybe.

14. Henk_Versteeg

Henk_Versteeg Bit poster

Same problem here.
    Update iMac (mid 2011) to Yosemite and PD to 10 but everything wend incredibly slow...
    I am sure it's not the hardware (16GB RAM, 1 TB (600GB free) and 1GB video card.
    I also wanted to generate a ticket but the final step, submitting this issue, can't be made!?
    The most strangest of all, CPU uses always above 100%., sometimes even 200%.

15. Paul_Ruijgrok

Paul_Ruijgrok Bit poster

Strange situation: I was running PD9 and installed PD10 on top of it. And it is dead slow. I decided to buy and install PD10 because version 9 was very slow and stuttering after installing Yosemite. But unfortunately it did not improve the situation.
    I wonder what the difference is between your installation and mine....

16. Henk_Versteeg

Henk_Versteeg Bit poster

For a minute i thought downgrading to PD9 will solve things, but in your message i read that with PD9 in combination with Yosemite also is dead slow...
    Better to wait for an update i guess.

17. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

I followed your instructions. I used your un-install tool as found on your website. I rebooted. I used the disk repair tool as outlined. I had to run it twice to eliminate all errors. I rebooted. As my install of Parallels 10 was not the "latest greatest", I downloaded a fresh copy from the website which appears to reflect the latest version number. I then rebooted and then installed the latest copy of just downloaded.

The results? No success. While everything is "working", it is extremely slow. The windows "music" at boot for example is heavily stuttering. The display of the startup window (windows 8.1) takes about 90 seconds. (When requested via menu or the windows key). I am guessing, based upon the evidence, that the "interrupt storm" I hear about is occurring. I base this upon the extreme stuttering "feel" of things.

If my settings within Parallels are of need to someone, I have things configured to use "Software Development" settings. My base boot image is about 500 GB in size with an additional second hard drive mounted as the E:\ drive (about 300 GB in size). The hardware is using 4 cpu's with 16 GB of memory (of my Mac's 32 GB) allocated. Video is configured with 512 MB of memory. Video is configured for DirectX10 and vertical sync (I did not set these). The keyboard and mouse are configured for "Don't optimize for games". No CD rom image is connected. All other settings are default.

Using 10 prior to Yosemite this configuration worked without issue. (The same could be said for versions 7-9 as well) I look forward to your eventual solution of this problem. The Parallels VM has made my Windoze development a joy (on my Mac). I would hate to be forced to return to using actual Windoze boxes.

18. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

Let me toss another odd log on the fire. I had the occasion to test another software package completely unrelated to Parallels. It exhibited the same stuttering/quirkyness that the Parallels package did. I use a product known as "Neat" which is a paper / scanner document management program. That program exhibits the same characteristics as launching a VM under parallels. This leads me to wonder if the problem is not somewhat bigger than Parallels. Today, using the same hardware and software, I had the occasion to scan 5 documents. The scan/analyze functions took about 10x longer than previous actions (pre-Yosemite upgrade).

Perhaps we need to cut Parallels a little slack. Yes there is a problem however it might (and I state might) be outside of their purview.

19. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

It may not be anything to do with the Parallels programme directly i.e. some shoddy coding on their part. They do however need to put out some sort of statement regarding this issue.

One more thing I forgot to mention previously. Before apparently fixing the problem on my machine, I did notice that the Avast AV was ramping up CPU and memory usage on the VM. I actually uninstalled it before installing PD10 again. When I was happy that the VM was back to normal, I reinstalled the AV and this time there was no issue.

20. Udo_Sperling

Udo_Sperling Bit poster

That's struck me too. When i copy files it's stocking. I move the mouse and it works!??!