Parallels Desktop 8 and OSX Yosemite - guess what?...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Darren_Coleman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Darren_Coleman

Darren_Coleman Junior Member

It works.... you don't appear to "need" PD10 for it, contrary to the adverts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    ZaherA likes this.
  2. Jason_Hocking

Jason_Hocking Bit poster

Good to know. While this is clearly a great product, I don't agree with the business model of trying to get your customers to part with cash every 6 month!!! Would love to know what actually doesn't work in PD8 on Yosemite....

3. Kartini

Kartini Bit poster

Hi Darren,
    I intend to upgrade to Yosemite. What is your build of the PD 8? and what VM?
    My PD build: 8.0.18619, VM Windows 8.1 Pro.
    MBP 13-inch, early 2011 with OS X 10.9.5 (13F34).

4. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

Parallels Marketing Staff - You need to rethink your marketing NOW. You have categorically BROKEN THE LAW IN THE UK. For the last few months Parallels Desktop 8 has been telling me that if I want to run my PD8 VMs on Yosemity I WILL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO PD10.

A post from one of your support staff in this thread also states:

"Parallels Desktop 8 is not compatible with OS X 10.10 and I'm surprised to hear you were able to launch it - that was not the case when we tested it in the labs."

Either your testing methodology is fundamentally broken or you are simply lying. I updated to Yosemity yesterday and ran PD8 and my VMs without a single problem. Please explain your position as this is a customer relationship disaster in my opinion.

I only decided to NOT upgrade until I had proved to myself that it wouldn't work despite the insistence of ALL your marketing and application warning messages. This is absolutely a criminal offence in the UK and I refer you to the government web site dealing with trading standards:

Advertising to consumers
    The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:
    • including false or deceptive messages
    • leaving out important information
    • using aggressive sales techniques
    Read ‘The consumer protection from unfair trading regulations’ for the rules on advertising legally.

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising

How many Parallels customers upgraded to v10 due to your marketing techniques when it has been clearly demonstrated by many consumers that your marketing was incorrect and misleading?

I look forward to you addressing my issues and questions in this public forum for all to see ...

5. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hi People,
    Thanks for feedback and replies.
    Please consider, this set up: Host Yosemite Mac OS X and Parallels Desktop 8 is _not_ recommended to use.
    This is not the pushing to upgrade. This message about safe usage of the product and getting proper support.
    lets say the virtual machine runs and then crashes. Then user upgrades to Parallels Desktop 10 and it won't launch at all. The fix will be really time-consuming and sophisticated. And all because the system requirements were not met.

6. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

You are not addressing my issue.

We have all been told categorically in your marketing materials that it simply WILL NOT WORK. It doesn't state that it is "not recommended" it clearly states that PD8 simply will not work. Your staff have echoed this on this forum and said that in your labs PD8 wouldn't even launch on Yosemity let alone run a VM successfully.

7. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

This is taken DIRECTLY from a Parallels email sent to me yesterday ... after the official release of Yosemity.
    That does NOT state that it is "not recommended" that clearly states to me that I will NOT be able to launch my PD8 VMs under Yosemity. Seriously Parallels this is clearly in breach of UK advertising law ... there is no question about this. You have broken the law in my country.

8. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi Findjammer,

Well there's even more to add to the disaster you pointed out in your posts !
    The marketing at Parallels is really disappointing !

Look at their websites. The ad for Parallels 10 claims "Fully Compatible with OsX Yosemite". But if you go to another page (that you need to dig to find out) they just say that they do not guarantee it will work on Yosemite as they did not have the final release of OsX Yosemite !!!

EVEN WORSE : Parallels is ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOSEMITE as it only activates 1 core of my machine, even though I clearly stated in the configuration that I want to run the 4 cores ! Thus, the Linux distro I'm running is 4 times slower than it used to be with Parallels 10 and Mavericks.

I will file a claim and ask for a refund even though I bought this software about 3 months ago when it was launched and will go back to PD8 if it works on several cores !

This is simply not to be tolerated... What are the conditions for a class-action again ?

9. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

Hi FredUntu,
    That sounds insane. Have you got a link to the page you refer to? Class action can be summarised as:

"Naturally a class action can only be brought if the potential claims of the individuals privy to the group are relatively similar." Parallels is on EXTREMELY dodgy ground here.

To claim that they didn't have the final release of OSX is a farce. What the hell is the OSX developer program for in that case?

OS development and software development in general (I am the Chief Technology Officer for a company so I'm not exactly uninformed on the topic) has a VERY strict and controlled development/release process. Releases as big as an entire OS update even more so. Breaking changes at late stages of the release cycle are incredibly rare and more or less do not happen, they would be deferred to a later release primarily to keep the process on schedule and within budget restrictions.

Breaking changes go through review processes, documentation processes, debugging and testing cycles. Parallels are being flippant in the extreme frankly.

The really annoying thing is I really like Parallels, it's a great product but their business practises and marketing strategies are questionable in the extreme.

10. Darren_Coleman

Darren_Coleman Junior Member

PD build is 8.0.18619. VM is Windows 8.1 Pro, with all the current updates.

I very nearly bought PD10 without checking whether PD8 would work because, as said above, the popups and adverts are pretty explicit about saying that I wouldn't be able to even open the VM if I upgraded to Yosemite. In the end I upgraded OSX anyway and thought I'd just see if it would work - and it did.

Kartini likes this.
  11. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

The situation with the marketing really is a major problem in my estimation. I wonder how much revenue that generated from people that didn't try PD8 before upgrading to PD10?

12. Isaac_Leventhal

Isaac_Leventhal Bit poster

Confirming my PD8 also works with Yosemite Perfectly ! Even Running Widows 10 Preview with No Flaws

ZaherA likes this.
  13. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

So really how can all these users possibly find out that PD8 and Yosemity seem to work fine together yet in their own labs Parallels confirms that PD8 doesn't even launch yet alone successfully open and run a VM?

There are a few options:
    • They were and are continuing to just plain mislead people about the compatibility
    • Their labs have completely failed to accurately model the average users installation environment (big fail in software development)
    • There are a large collection of very lucky users of Parallels (operating in a a parallel universe maybe?)
    • Massive problems with Parallels internal communications and software management processes
    None of these options are either inspiring nor leave me feeling positive about Parallels IP Holdings GmbH. The distinct silence from all Parallels forum staff ringing through this thread speaks volumes in my opinion.
    Cue tumbleweed ...

14. Andrew_Backer

Andrew_Backer Bit poster

Yep, I had the same impression form the adverts and product popups. It wont' work with Yosemite. I don't think parallels actually changes anything between releases, and all the other claims are false as well (50% disk access speedup, better x, y). I know those are covered by the famous "up to" clause, but the only thing it does is add to the impression that parallels is a pack of liars. At least change one or two visible features, or the UI a little, so you can point to that and say... look, these few pixels changed! 50 bucks was well spent!

It is like there are two companies. One writes software. The other writes random marketing lies and makes borderline malware style scare popups. Seriously fucked up. The worst part is, they don't _need_ to do it.

15. Tyrden

Tyrden Bit poster

Confirming PD8 works on Yosemite. I've upgraded two of my computers. One is a MacMini Early 2009 model. The other is a Hackintosh. So far no issues running PD8 on either. I also have a Mac Book Pro mid 2010 but I have not updated it yet. I've been updating them one at a time in case PD8 does not work.

MacMini
    [​IMG]

Hackintosh
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    ZaherA likes this.
  16. Entropy1

Entropy1 Bit poster

Is all the versions of PD10 and PD8 compatible with Yosemite?

17. Jan_Ja

Jan_Ja Bit poster

I upgraded from 8 to 10 because of the false advert. I'm only using my VM because of one single app and I don't need ANY fancy features. I just need my only program to work with Yosemite. Version 8 worked just fine under Maverics for me (actually much better, because now I hav TWO icons !!! in my dock and a control center that pops up all the time) . Are you people saying that Parallels just stole my money?

Can I get a refund ?

18. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

Hi Jan,
    Basically yes.
    They repeatedly told everyone through every channel at their disposal that PD8 would basically die and stop working under Yosemity. Even the anecdotal evidence in this thread alone proves that their marketing messages were misleading at best and as far as I'm concerned - illegal. It is a criminal offence (certainly in the UK) to mislead consumers through inaccurate marketing. That is exactly what I'm seeing regarding this issue - mislead consumers.

19. Kartini

Kartini Bit poster

Thank you Darren..
    Upgrade my MBP 13-inch, early 2011 with OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) to Yosemite couple hours ago.. Confirming PD8 (build: 8.0.18619) run perfectly on Yosemite, no problem opening VM Windows 8.1 Pro. Tested app on VM Windows 8.1: MS Office, Classic Media Player, ie11, FF (latest update), Chrome (latest updated).

20. Dénes_Nagy-Varga

Dénes_Nagy-Varga Bit poster

Here's a quick twitter discussion that happened during the development phase of Yosemite.
    [​IMG]