Can't Uninstall Access

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Parallels User, Aug 28, 2013.

1. I installed Access on my macbook and on my ipad. After reviewing it I determined it is not useful for me. I quit access on my laptop and signed out. When I attempt to delete it by dragging the icon from my applications to trash I am told "The item "Parallels Access" can't me moved to the Trash because it is open." Turning off access on my ipad does not help, nor does removing the app from my ipad. How do I close this program so I can drag it to the trash. Or what is the method to uninstall it?

2. JonBreen2000

JonBreen2000 Bit poster

I uninstalled it by using some of the instructions for uninstalling Parallels Desktop from the terminal window.
    Open a terminal window then type 'ps aux | grep -i parallel | grep Parallels Access.app', find the pid then type 'sudo kill -KILL whateverthepidis', then drag the Paralles Access app to the trash.
    Worked for me. Good luck!
    -Jon

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Isn't there a part that starts Parallels Access at login somewhere? Otherwise, how does it get into the menu bar?

4. Joevt, There is a log in on both the ipad and my macbook that starts Access. The issue was that upon quitting Access on both the macbook and the ipad, some part of the program continues to run even though logged out. Jon, your suggestion is a good one and I do believe it should do the trick. After a lot of research, however, I found that the simple solution was to open "Activity Monitor" in the utilities folder of my laptop, find the the part of access that was still running, delete it there, then drag the program icon to trash. I have used Parallels for years on my macbook, and find it an excellent program. But I must admit that I find their introduction of Access to be very disappointing. It was advertised as a great new app, and in fact the concept is a good one, and it does seem to work remarkably well for basic programs, but it had very little documentation, and was never made clear until everything was installed, that it would have a yearly fee beyond a trail period...again not an unreasonble thing to ask, but there is virtually no warning of this until after all installation is completed. Clearly a marketing gimic, because it knowing the actual cost would discourage many from even downloading it as on a 14-day trial. To be so secretive about this and to provide absolutely no instruction on how to unistall it once one has found out about the cost is incontionable in my humble opinion. For me it changes my entire opinion of what I considered to be a quality software company and relegates it to the realm of greedy company who now seems more interested in joining the ranks of scam tactic salesmanship. I am very disappointed in them. It appears to be a good, viable, product that would have done well on it's own merits withoug resorting to this. The only reason I can see for not including unistall directions is to enable them to keep reminding you of the need to pay up beyond the 14 day trial period. In any event, thanks to both of you for responding to my question. It is most sincerely appreciated.

5. Douglje

Douglje Bit poster

ChrisJM, thank-you for your advice. It seemed to work perfectly. As a result of the upgrade experience with Parallels 9 and Parallels Access I've removed my virtual PC from my MacBook Pro. In addition to my frustration with the uninstallation of Access, I found the various drives on my "PC" became inaccessible (not so in any other version) and I somehow picked up something that resulted in closing any window or program I opened within seconds. The entire "PC" (Windows 8) became unusable. Very disappointing from what I thought was a first class company with an excellent product.

6. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

7. Michael_Sudderth

Michael_Sudderth Bit poster

I downloaded and executed the Parallels Access Agent uninstall script. Everything appeared to work fine...except the Parallels Access icon did not go away. It just has a question mark on it now. I've tried every tip I could find to remove it. No joy. So, Parallels Team, obviously there is still an issue. Looking to you now for an answer.

8. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Can you show us a screen shot? (Command-Shift-4 and select the area of the screen containing the question mark).

9. Michael_Sudderth

On top of the Parallels Access icon

Attached Files:

10. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Is that in LaunchPad? I think you have to remove that icon manually by dragging it to the trash. Dragging it to the trash will remove the icon from LaunchPad without putting anything in the Trash. I guess the uninstaller could be made smarter by doing that for you...

I think it's just like an alias like icons in the Dock. If you have an app in the dock and select "Keep in Dock", then remove the app later (or if the app is on an ejected disk or disk image), then a question mark will appear on the icon in the Dock. You can remove the icon from the Dock by dragging the icon off the Dock.

11. Michael_Sudderth

Thanks for responding joevt. Originally is was not allowing me to drag it to the trash. So I reinstalled Parallels Access (question mark on the icon went away), ran the uninstall script (which made the icon appear with the question mark again), then just dragged it to the trash.

Problem solved...thank you!!

Note: When I previously tried to drag the icon to the trash the 'X' (used for delete) never appeared. This time it appeared when I was dragging it to the trash.

12. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Michael,

Glad that your issue was resolved.
    The question mark icon appeared may be because the application was pinned to Dock.
    Please let us know if you have any issue, we will be glad to help you.