Parallels 10 on Mac OS X 10.10 DP6 - All Windows Guest VMs Slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Markcub, Aug 21, 2014.

1. AshotP

AshotP Junior Member

guys, stop B about parallel and measure ACPI without Paralles running, I'm getting this s**t:

49 376014 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 376014 iMac12,2 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform
    so write feed back to Apple about this issue, this started only with DP 6 and didn't finished with official release of 10.10. my guess, Apple should fix it. this issues not only slow down Parallels but other processes as well... however, this is not on all Mac computers, only on few models.

2. Ron_Cash

Ron_Cash Bit poster

Hello Robert,

Sorry to heir that it did not work for you! and some more bad news is after I shut my Mac down last night and then started it today it is now back to running very slow and I too tried to follow the instructions and it is now not working for me. So I will get back with support and see what they say to do next.

3. Doug Kolb

Doug Kolb Bit poster

Let's make this current. I am having this problem with released Yosemite 10.10 and PD 10.1

4. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

After reading all these issues, I'm going to hold off on Yosemite and PD10. This is really terrible. I wish we can also hear of success stories.

5. martmeister

martmeister Member

I was on PD9 last night, noticed the major slowness and chalked it up to PD9 on Yosemite. I upgraded to PD10 today (thinking this was my $50 solution) and it's still the same behavior on Yosemite.

I exhausted every avenue I could find including the following:
    1. Enabling and disabling TRIM (thinking it was an HDD/SSD issue).
    2. Installing new Windows VMs on PD9 and PD10. Same useable/slow behavior.
    3. Uninstalled PD10 and installed a clean copy. Tried installing another new Windows (7 and 8.1) VM.
    4. I copied my VM onto another HDD to see if this was related to my SSD, that made no difference.

My CPU usage (using iStat Pro and Activity Monitor) sky rockets even when the Windows VM is sitting on the login page. So with the VM supposedly sitting idle, the CPU is 150% on Activity Monitor and 40-50% on iStat pro. Seems very peculiar.

Also noticed a really odd display issue. When trying to install a new VM, or load an existing one, when I move my mouse, there is activity (like the loading circle in Windows) or when I am installing Windows on a new VM, the copying of files etc. There is no activity on the screen for several seconds if I don't move my mouse OR if you move your mouse, then all of a sudden it shows activity.

I highly suggest that anyone looking to upgrade to Yosemite and relies heavily on their Windows VM's, do not upgrade to Yosemite! Regardless of what PD version you are on.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

I took a peek and quick scan at the VMWare Yosemite/Fusion 7 forum. Seems like they're having the same issues. I took a peek there because I was going to jump ship. It's shameful that all these products are having issues. That's what all those Beta times are for, you would think. What do I know, right? I'm no programmer. I'm just a consumer that's buying products as advertised. Apparently, truth in advertising is no longer. Thanks, Martin_Minaar for that additional feedback above.

7. briskspirit

briskspirit Bit poster

Strange to hear that so many people has this problem... It seems that I have same performance like before.
    1. Clean install OS X 10.10 from USB flash drive
    2. Clean install PD 10
    3. Transferred my VMs from previous HDD
    And in that case I have tested running OS X 10.9 as guest from flash drive(USB3.0) + Windows 7 64bit from Mac SSD. Win 7 was running fluently with SolidWorks 2014 on board. My conf is 4Gb for Win 7, 512Mb video, full screen mode on display 2. I have a MacBook Air 2013 i7 8Gb RAM 512SSD.

So maybe there is a problem on some Mac models?

P.S.: Sorry for english, it is not my native language.

8. briskspirit

briskspirit Bit poster

Maybe I can help any way to community or PD team with my config or some tests?

9. briskspirit

briskspirit Bit poster

I get from this value:
    49 0 0 0 0 0 MacBookAir6,2 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

to this

49 192 0 0 0 192 MacBookAir6,2 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

and back again. In this example I am running WinXP from internal SSD + Mac OS 10.9.5 from USB3 flash drive.

10. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I do find it disturbing that despite many users experiencing difficulties with either a total slowdown or unusable Windows VM with Yosemite, Parallels support have been totally absent from this thread. To my mind, they should at the very least have put out a statement concerning this issue.
    We have after all spent our hard earned cash buying into Parallels - again, and yet our loyalty seemingly counts for nothing.

11. Christopher_Kessell

Christopher_Kessell Bit poster

I'm in the same boat as everyone else it seems. I paid the $50.00 for the upgrade from 9 to 10 in preparation of moving to Yosemite and now have an impossibly slow Windows 7 VM. I have even created a new Windows 7 VM and its still a CPU resource hog and its pretty much unusable...
    This really is totally unacceptable! I could expect having to completely reinstall the VM but now after doing that and its still unusable!! Amazing that they have not come out with an announcement as I would have held of upgrading till it was fixed!

I'm running this on a Late 2011 21.5" iMac with an i7 processor and 16 gigs of ram and a Samsung 500 gig SSD with Trim Enabler enabled.

12. martmeister

martmeister Member

I would highly recommend submitting a ticket (I just did a few moments ago) so you can get some traction. The more support calls they get, the more likely they will start listening. I do agree that some form of announcement acknowledging the number of issues (that seem to be widespread) people are experiencing would be ideal. Right now it's leaving most people without any solution other than going back to Mavericks (or before) and using PD9 (or before), and frankly, that's a horrible solution.

I am hoping to get some traction with Support and will no doubt report the findings here.

13. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Going back to Mavericks isn't easy either. A lot of the machines affected appear to be mid-2011 models, as is mine.

14. martmeister

martmeister Member

Confirmation that my iMac is also a mid 2011 model with a HDD/SSD configuration and 16GB of RAM.

15. Christopher_Kessell

I just submitted a support ticket, lets see how that goes....

16. Kiran_K._Ayyalasomayajula

Kiran_K._Ayyalasomayajula Bit poster

I did as well couple of hours ago. My iMac is also a mid 2011 model with a HDD/SSD configuration and 16GB of RAM, and having same issues, since the upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.

17. Radu_Cotofana

Radu_Cotofana Bit poster

Same here. Just submitted a support ticket. I'll keep you posted

18. Christopher_Kessell

It looks like a number of us that are having this problem have similarly configured 2011 iMacs!! I have my wife late 2013 27" iMac to upgrade but I am afraid to do so until this gets sorted as her need for Windows is actually more important than mine!! For me its mainly an inconvenience but she has a Java based Customs program (ASYCUDA) that only works on an older version of Java (6.22) and Apple makes it so difficult to run older versions that its not worth the effort. Under Windows it works fine!!

19. Michael_Heinsohn

Michael_Heinsohn Bit poster

Ryan DeCorby and martmeister like this.
  20. martmeister

martmeister Member

@Michael_Heinsohn thanks for the link and possible solution. If this solves my (our) issue(s), for now, I will be ecstatic! I did reset my PRAM funnily enough while troubleshooting. So I am not surprised to hear about a NVRAM update/change.

Fingers crossed! And please report any success stories in this thread as well!!!