Failed Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MacHattan, Oct 14, 2014.

1. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

What's up group!
    We have an iMac with a failed hard drive. We were able to do the data recovery on it but the Parallels environment for a number of reason will no longer launch. We're getting every kind of Windows error and have tried all the bootable tricks to try and recover.
    Problem is, we can see that the VM has 67 gb of data on it.
    There has to be a way that we can retrieve the data on this VM. Has to be!!! We were wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and was successful.
    Just to name a few we're getting the dreaded 'Trying to boot from SATA drive 1...' error.
    Along with the Master file table is corrupt error.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

Also, we tried to run Hiren 14 on it. No luck. Freezes every time it tries to install drivers. We also tried to boot from the Win 7 cd but it seems to be really limited on help and repair.

3. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

What is everyone else doing in a situation like this. How exactly do folks try and recover failed Parallels environments? What utilities do folks generally use?

4. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

If we can just repair this Master File Table, we might be in business

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Create a new VM, install Windows, attach this virtual disk as secondary, perform all needed repairs to it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

Thank you for responding Specimen!
    We actually did that. But how do we connect the 2?

7. martmeister

martmeister Member

I had a VM fail on me and I wanted to browse the data of the VM on my Mac. I followed these steps to mount the VM in Finder:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/27290.htm
    Particularly this:
    To mount the hard disk of a particular virtual machine, right-click this virtual machine's file and choose Open With > Parallels Mounter or Open With > Other > Library > Parallels > Parallels Mounter from the shortcut menu. You can mount the following virtual machines and hard disks:
    • Parallels bundle (.pvm) or configuration file (.pvs) or virtual hard disk file (.hdd).
    • VMware configuration file (.vmx, .vmwarevm) or virtual hard disk file (.vmdk).
    • Virtual PC configuration file (.vmc, .vpc7) or virtual hard disk file (.vhd).
    • VirtualBox configuration file (.xml) or virtual hard disk file (.vdi).

8. Pablo Rojo

Pablo Rojo Bit poster

Parallels Mounter no longer works in Yosemite, even PM9 with pvm's or hdd's created in Parallels Desktop 9. From comments, PD10 is no solution.

Help, Specimen! I can mount a VM, but I have so many, I sometimes just want to grab a file. We need Mounter to work! Are there any solutions?

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In the hardware configuration of the new VM add a 2nd HD, point to the .hds file inside the .pvm package of the original VM. Simple. Now boot this new VM and try to access the files and/or perform recovery.