RDP on Win8 Slow when running in parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlekseyM, Sep 4, 2014.

1. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Weirdest issue ever. When running windows 8 in parallels, RDP connection to that host is extremely slow. Taking the same VM converting it to VMware or physical makes it work fine and fast. Same settings, policies, etc.

Any ideas?

2. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Alright, tried a ton of different things from modifying group policies to disable udp packets, etc. Nothing helps. Just crazy slow. Tried win8, win7 clients, all of them connect to the VM and refresh takes forever.

Not sure if it's a network issue. I've even tried doing a local connection (same lan), over 1gb and it's still slow. Uninstalling Parallels Tools fixes the issue right away, but obviously that defeats the point of having a VM when I'm at my desk. Unfortunately, it's unusable until this I find a solution for this. If anyone even has any ideas, I'll take them.

3. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Another update: I just installed Win 8 from scratch. As soon as parallels tools is installed RDP becomes unusable into the Parallels machine.

4. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

I was so hopeful that the latest patch would fix this. It didn't :(

5. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Anybody? Everybody? Nobody? Help...

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

As a temporary workaround change VM Config > Hardware > Video > 3D acceleration from DirectX 10 to DirectX 9.

AlekseyM likes this.
  7. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

Huh while you can use the RDP client inside of windows, why not use the RDP client from the host os? Microsoft has written a RDP client for the Mac which is actually pretty good. I use it daily to telecommute.

8. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Think other way around. Think I'm RDPing INTO the guest that is ran in Parallels, not use RDP inside the guest to some other location. Guests that are hosted by Parallels have major slowdowns when computers outside (even locally say the Mac Host using MS RDP for OSX) have unusable performance.

9. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Trying... will update in a sec.
    Yes that worked! Have no idea how you would figure something like that out. But I am so happy. THANK YOU!!!

Also, I found something really interesting as a side note. People who complain about smooth scrolling not working in Windows 8.. its' really weird, but if they are missing a usb controller in the VM hardware scrolling is choppy. As soon as you add a USB controller, scrolling is smooth as butter.. or whatever is smoother than butter.