Parallels is a real Disappointment

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by hfdx, Aug 3, 2007.

1. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

I've got a brand new computer, purchased Windows XP, followed all the installation instructions, and even tips I got on this web site, and I still can't get it to work. I'm not even getting any replies to my post.

Don't anybody buy Parallels. You might wind up getting stuck too.

2. DerekS

DerekS Member

Can you be more specific on what "doesn't work" means? There are plenty of people happy to help, but we need more info on what the issue is.

3. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

You can see my previous post.

But here it is again: I purchased a MacBook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of memory and running Mac OS X version 10.4.10. It is connected to my home wireless network, and that is all.

I purchased Parallels Desktop 3.0, and when I installed it on the computer, an upgrade downloaded. Get info says I am running Build 4128.0. I purchased a new copy of Windows XP Home Edition.

I install Parallels Desktop selecting the recommended Windows Express mode. When the program asks me, I insert the Windows XP CD. The installation proceeds to a point where I have a PC window says I have Parallels(R) VGA-Compatible BIOS Version 2.01 followed by the version and build number, then

640 KB Base Memory
    524288 KB Extended Memory
    Boot from hard drive...

and that's it. Game over. I can't get beyond that.

I have gone back and uninstalled the Parallels program. Threw out a half dozen Parallels folders (where did those all come from?) (I found a faq that said to make sure certain files were not on the computer, I checked, they weren't) Repaired permissions. Restarted. Repaired permissions again. Re-installed the Parallels program from the CD. Restarted. Attempted to install Windows XP from the CD, and I wind up back in the same place. "Boot from hard drive..." Game over.

I put in the Parallels CD and follow instructions. How can I go wrong?

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Did the Windows install ever actually start? Or does it not get that far? If Windows doesn't even start to install you might need change the boot order of your virtual machine. To do that, if you are stuck on that screen, press the shutdown (stop) button, go to the "Edit" menu, select "Virtual Machine...", click on the "Booting" tab (when "Options" is selected) and select the boot sequence that says "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy".

5. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

Thanks. I have a Windows screen that tells me 39 minutes to complete.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

6. aclaver

aclaver Member

I replied in the previous thread. Obviously it is something wrong on your computer since many thousands of people run Parallels every day.

Have you tried installing using another Windows XP installation CD? Have you tried installing using the manual rather than the Express method? Have you tried installing under a different user account? Have you tried installation another OS (like one of the Linux distributions)?

7. aclaver

aclaver Member

I forgot - you are not using the beta version either - have you tried to upgrade to the latest version?

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It has to be asked: Is your disk full?

9. brkirch

brkirch Pro

No problem. So it's working now? If not there are still other things to try, but I'm assuming you were unable to get this far before?

10. parallelsuserwithmanyprob

parallelsuserwithmanyprob Bit poster

i have the same problem as hfdx.

after trying vista on parallels - which didn´t work: no napster, no acceptable media streaming (e.g. last.fm and others), no satisfying performance for a non freeware and licenced software (!) - so i decided to buy a new win xp home license to get things right after i read that windows media player is a problem for parallels (mail from the support-team).

so i have tried several times to get things running with parallels + win xp home. i read in forums that other users had problems too and got it after three trials.

but:

not on my mac mini (new, osx) and my licenced paralles (incl. update).

so i ask myself:

what is parallels all abaout? many hours of nerving installation and trying, buying software and at the end disappointment, no real support of parallels. the new xp installation works several minutes and stays at "39" or "31" minutes or at other times. there is no chance of installing it successfully.

my conclusion: parallels does not work when using a new mac mini, a new parallels version and a new xp home-license. so why does parallels get the money for this software?!

parallelsuserwithmanyprob.

is there any help????

11. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The performance of Vista is very poor, especially under virtualization. It is not surprising that you were given the recommendation to use Windows XP instead.

Here's a Parallels knowledge base article that will hopefully help you:
    Installing Windows OS from Disk Image File Using Mac OS X Disk Utility. Problems During Windows Installation. Installation from the Disk Fails.
    If it still doesn't work then please post your Mac OS version and Parallels Desktop build number.

I agree, you shouldn't have to spend hours on this only to have it not work. So don't hesitate to ask here if you need any more help.

12. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Parallels does indeed work with a MacMini. I bought two Parallels licenses, 1 for my MBP, the other for my MacMini. I move my VM between the two quite often actually.

Parallels runs just fine on the Mini. It seems like most of the problems have to do with getting Parallels installed and then getting the VM installed.

M

13. parallelsuserwithmanyprob

parallelsuserwithmanyprob Bit poster

so how can i install it the right way?

i just followed the parallels-installation-assistants und followed step by step. both ways (express and user-specific) failed.

14. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Try installing Windows from a disk image.