USB WLAN adapter causes 100% CPU in host

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PetterW, Aug 26, 2014.

1. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

Weird issue today, first time trying out Parallels 10 (moving from Fusion):

When I plug in a Realtek USB WLAN adapter, specifically a RTL8188CU, OS X Activity Monitor will show between 100 and 200% CPU for my VM process. As soon as I unplug it, back to normal CPU. Nothing shows in guest OS Activity Monitor.
    Tried two different Windows drivers for the unit, without change (can't see why it should...).

I have a pretty similar adapter which shows as RTL8188ETV in Device Manager. This piece does not exhibit these problems (although CPU util i slightly higher than when running a shared or bridged connection over AirPort - on the order of 15% or so - but that might be a USB thing...?). Also, using an USB Ethernet adaptor presents no issues.

I have tried this on two different WLAN networks, one that uses certificate-based Windows authentication (the reason why I have to use a dedicated adapter in my guest), and one with regular WPA2 auth - same behaviour.

Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this?

OSX 10.9.4, Parallels 10 build 27695, Windows 7/x64 guest

2. KonstantinO

KonstantinO Parallels Developers

3. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

Thanks, I have a LogMeIn request from support already - will run through that. Thought I should post here as well if there were suggestions or similar experiences from the community. And so I could follow up with an answer, hopefully :)

Attached to VM - yes that's what it is, if I understand you right. The reason I use the adapter at all is that I need the VM to have it's dedicated adapter attached (in order to be properly authenticated on WLAN).

4. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

So, the issue was not solved during the LogMeIn session, but was escalated to second (third?) line with attached system report. I have not heard from it since.
    I just bought a new USB dongle, a Netgear A6100 dual band wifi adapter, and this unfortunately presents the same behavior - the VM is at 115% CPU in the host, but 0% in the guest. The Air's battery is down to just a couple of hours and even the fan is spinning (which virtually never happens otherwise for me).

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi PetterW,
    Your RTL8188CU device should now work fine with the latest build of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.
    Please update Parallels Desktop 10: http://kb.parallels.com/111603 or just use the download link at the bottom of this article.

6. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

Just tried both the RTL8188CU and the Netgear A6100, still the same unwanted behavior under Parallels build 27712.

7. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

This is not the latest build of Parallels Desktop 10.
    Try to download it here.

8. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

Right. That was the update that was online at 1600 Europe time :) and that I installed then.
    I downloaded and installed the 28614 now, looks good so far. Thanks, good job!
    Edit: yep, problem definitely seems gone. Great!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014