Proper sequence to upgrade (Mav to Yos - 9 to 10)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoelRubio, Oct 27, 2014.

1. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

All the issues with Yosemite and PD10 aside for now, can someone recommend the proper sequence to upgrade? I am running Mavericks with PD9 right now (and all is happy on my machine) on a MacBook Pro late 2013 i5 8GB/256GB SSD. I only have one Win 8.1 Pro VM. Here's I'm thinking the sequence would be.
    1. Close Parallels. Then backup (copy) of my VM to another drive.
    2. Reboot the Mac. Don't open any apps. Run the Yosemite upgrade.
    3. After successful Yosemite upgrade, install PD10 -- question here: uninstall PD9 first, or do in-place upgrade?

Note that I really want to avoid any clean install of Yosemite. My Mac installation is pretty vanilla and the heaviest app I'm running in it is Office 2011. And the same for Parallels, though not a big deal if I uninstall PD9 first. I am trying to minimize the time involved in these upgrades. I mean, these upgrades are designed to accommodate in-place upgrades, right?

Thanks in advance to all.

-Joel

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Joel,

Perfect! You got it right.
    Please follow the same steps which you have already mentioned. If you need any assistance, please get back to us. We are happy to help you!

3. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

Thanks, Abdul. So do you think that I can just do an in-place upgrade of PD10 as per my item #3. I'm thinking that's better so as to capture any possible custom settings I have and update the existing VM on the fly as well. I really don't have any overly custom Parallels settings, other than giving my VM 2 CPU's and a little under 4GB of RAM.
    Thanks,
    -Joel

4. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Joel, you have to purchased the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac : https://buy.parallels.com/329/purl-pd10u?x-source=site&x-locale=us
    Once purchased, you will be provided with the Activation key and the download link to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.
    You can directly download and install version 10 as the installer will automatically remove the previous version. (Your Virtual Machine will remain the same even if the application is removed and installed).

5. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

I have purchase 10 weeks ago. But with all the issues posted here, I've held off. I now see there's a new build that just came out, so maybe it's time to take the plunge.