Installing Yosemite to VM from Yosemite

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Justin_D, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Justin_D

Justin_D Bit poster

I've upgraded to PD10 and my MBP13 is now on Yosemite too.

Have just tried installing Yosemite into a new VM and installed via the OS X Utilities - Reinstall OS X option.. It's spending 50+ mins downloading and installing, prompting for language/AppleID/etc but then it's rebooted back into the OS X Utilities screen and I don't see a way of getting into the installed OS! There must be something there as Disk Utility is saying 9.43Gb of the virtual disk has been used...

Presumably it's possible to install in this way? Or do I need to re-download "Install OS X Yosemite.app" from the App Store and install from the image?

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Bit poster

Have also re-downloaded the installer from the App Store, pointed PD10 to this from which it created a disk image, proceeded to install but just back to square one as I end up at the OS X Utilities screen again.

What's going on here? This is holding up important testing we need to do and is a major blocker for us.

3. Argelian

Argelian Member

Put Yosemite on a USB drive then install in a VM that way. You will get an EFI boot screen type of deal so just press the ESC key then type in exit. This will put you into a mode where you can select the boot up device and it should then install Yosemite.