Parallels 10 on Mac OS X 10.10 DP6 - All Windows Guest VMs Slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Markcub, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

Still no fix? :mad:

2. cSchroeder

cSchroeder Bit poster

Hi,

i want to try if the fix ist necessary with the latest build, but how can i undo the changes?
    Fix used: sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x10"

3. Bill_Ryckman

Bill_Ryckman Bit poster

Nothing works for me either. Upgraded from Parallels 7 to 10 in anticipation of Yosemite installation. It's been over two hours and I still can't use a VM. This is not a Yosemite issue. I'm still on 10.8.5 with WindowsXP Guest. I was expecting a big increase in speed since 7 was dog slow. I guess I should have checked here before upgrading. Even when Parallels is running without a Guest OS running, it drags the whole machine down. Asking for a refund and going to Virtual Box, not as nice but 10x faster and actually usable. Good luck.

4. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

Anyone have luck yet with build 10.1.1-28614? Dying to use Yosemite here.

5. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

It works fine if you apply the vram debug script.

6. Lachlan_Lacey

Lachlan_Lacey Bit poster

Is there a fix yet? The problem started for me despite making sure my Parallels 9 was the latest version before I installed Yosemite. As well as forking out $50 for the upgrade to Parallels 10 in the vain hope that will fix the problem, it didn't. Win7 will occasionally work out of the blue then reverts to a stuttering mess the next time I restart or shut down my iMac. I need Win7 for the majority of my audio work. I hope there is a fix within a week or I will have to find alternatives as I am now having to not take any more audio editing jobs and let's face it, Skyrim won't play itself! I would be happy to try the advice of the above post by applying the vram debug script, unfortunately I have no idea what that means or how to do it!
    As an aside, I thought I would try just using boot camp to reinstall Win7, however, it seems the Mac no longer recognises the ISO disk anymore. Oh what fun.

7. Richard_Barry

Richard_Barry Bit poster

You would think that a Patch would be created for the THOUSANDS of iMac users from 2011 users that have this problem. We are dying here. Thankfully I only did install the TRIAL version. I will wait for an update...and suffer in the meantime. Even if this s an Apple issue, Paralles should be on the phone with Apple's engineering team trying to resolve this for their customer base. Writing this reply in windows is PAINFUL!!!!

8. Claude_Brulotte

Claude_Brulotte Bit poster

Same problem with com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform taking an insane amount of CPU slowing down everything to a crawl.....
    VECTOR CPU#0 CPU#1 CPU#2 CPU#3 CPU#4 CPU#5 CPU#6 CPU#7 TOTAL DEVNAME DRVNAME
    49 331402 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 331402 iMac12,2 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

Config:
    Parallels 10.1.1, Yosemite 10.10
    iMac Mid2011, Core i7 3.4ghz, 32Gb Ram....

9. Tom_Vukovich

Tom_Vukovich Bit poster

Same problem with com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform taking an insane amount of CPU slowing down everything to a crawl.....
    Parallels 10.1.1, Yosemite 10.10
    iMac (27 Mid 2011)
    16 GB
    Win 8 in unusable, please fix this.

10. Thomas_Schmuk

Thomas_Schmuk Bit poster

Same Problem - iMac (27 Mid 2011) Yosemite 10.10 Paralells 9.0.24251
    VECTOR CPU#0 CPU#1 CPU#2 CPU#3 TOTAL DEVNAME DRVNAME
    49 257451 0 0 0 257451 iMac12,2 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

Parallels VMs (Windows XP, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008R2 ,... ) all unusable, please fix this!!!!

11. AshotP

AshotP Junior Member

just got OsX pre-release update to 10.10.1 (so far working fine) hope it is fixed.. going test it a little bit more.

12. AshotP

AshotP Junior Member

nope, rebooted - everything was ok... turned off and turned on computers and same issue :( wrote Apple support a while ago. I guess it is not important to them (no response so far)

13. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    We have escalated this issue to our Development Team for further investigation. They are continually working on issues that are escalated but however they do not share an ETA for a fix until one is available.
    If a fix is available it will be included in an upcoming software update. To enable automatic updates, from the Parallels Desktop Menu, Select Preferences > General > Download Updates Automatically.
    We appreciate your time and consideration.

14. George_Hutchison

George_Hutchison Bit poster

Accidently discovered the same phenomenon. Dithering the mouse speeds the machine up. Tried to reinstall XP, finally bought a copy of 8.1 Pro and did not change a thing. So not XP issue. This is a real concern since a large part of what KB does is Parallels. Needs to be fixed soon.

15. Philip_Bodenbach

Philip_Bodenbach Bit poster

Same here since tuesday. No matter if Win 7, Win 8.1 32 and 64 bit. The CPU load from the parallels process goes far beyond 100% with different "CPU & RAM"-Settings.
    The moment when parallels 10 starts a VM hell breaks loose. Unusable at the moment. Please inform us what's the cause of this behavior.

16. Troy_McDonald

Troy_McDonald Bit poster

Yeah my windows 7 is dead in the water too (unusable) after upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.

I'm still running Parallels 9 (and glad I didn't pay for an update, yet, or I'd be even more pissed.)

Now I'm curious if the Parallels update (whenever that happens) will be released to Parallels 9 users, or force people to upgrade to 10 ... ?

17. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

I would say calm down man. I am running a Late 2011 i7 IMac with 32GB of ram. My system report shows my iMac is a "12,2" (whatever that means).

Using this chipset, I am forced to use the "debug" variable previously mentioned in this thread. With this variable and the latest software update (which as of this is 10.1.1 (28614)). I am able to use 2 CPU's with 16 GB and 512 MB of video memory allocated to my VM's. With this configuration the VM is VERY useful. I use it daily to do development for a Microsoft shop. The VM I am using hosts SQL Server along with a full development environment.

I suspect you have not read this entire thread and seen the troubles others have found for you. It is my personal belief, and I suspect others, that the root cause of this bug is in Apples fingers, not Parallels. Yes it seems possible for Parallels to come up with a patch however they can't patch to root OS. In case you had not hear Apple is rushing a patch to Yosemite and its ETA is December. I have no idea if it will address this particular bug but I suspect it will.

As to why i think it is Apples fault and not Parallels? My newer MacBook pro (different chipset) has worked flawlessly since the upgrade. It does not require the CPU or Debug variables. It is running pure Parallels without issue.

18. Troy_McDonald

Troy_McDonald Bit poster

Well... You have the right to your viewpoint... as well as we do too.

Read entire thread? (Check)

Some of us don't want to change some setting and (possibly) jack something else when a fix is made available. Not everyone is a hacking nerd. And since Parallels sits on top of Apple, it may be something they can fix as it may be just a matter of telling Parallels to handle something(s) differently. I dunno. I do know that when all is said and done consumers have the right to feel how they want, regardless of a thread and/or whether they are right or wrong. o_O

Richard_Barry likes this.
  19. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

No troubles. I agree it would be "nice" if Parallels can come up with a patch however as it seems the root problem is one of Apples making I wish Parallels luck. As a long time developer, i am cursed with a nagging quality control "ghost". My ghost tells me that in the rush to get Yosemite out the door Apple did not check all their drivers against all the chipsets. The root "interrupt" storm seems to be driven by a driver issue. Other vendors beyond Parallels are facing the same headaches. Users with new chipsets are unaffected. Given the habit of testing the latest hardware first supports the observed behaviors.
    I am simply trying to point out that you should not give up on Parallels. I do not work for them but could not do my job as effectively without their tools. Yes I do not like having to do these workarounds however I, as a developer, understand why they might be necessary.
    I just hope somebody remembers to write a "undo" for these patches we have had to use......

20. Philip_Bodenbach

Philip_Bodenbach Bit poster

after doing some research i think that the problem is caused by yosemite. The host system doesn't share the cpu load with the other cores. As you can see one core is pushed to the limit whereas the other 3 nearly went idle. Can't be only parallels fault.

Attached Files: