New To Parallels and need some help

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by William_Pronovost, Nov 6, 2014.

1. William_Pronovost

William_Pronovost Bit poster

Hi. I have Mac 10.10 (Yosemite) and I am running Parallels 10 with a Windows 7 Pro install.
    I don't know how to ask what I want to ask, so I am going to try my best to be clear. Don't jump on me. I am looking for help and if you can't provide it, no problem. I don't need you to respond just to respond.

Now...
    1. I like having a separate window for my Windows.
    2. I am not sure what Coherence is, but I think it relates to my #1 and I am not using it.
    3. I want to be able to drag and drop, copy and paste between OS's.
    4. I want to be able to use the download folder and my documents folder as one and not manage 2 different ones.
    5. (IMPORTANT) I don't want my desktop being shared. If I have things on my Windows desktop, I want to only see them there. If I have something on my Mac desktop, I only want to see them there. (Well not exactly. If I have something on my Mac desktop, I don't mind if it is visible in the windows environment, but I don't want Windows programs and links showing up on my Mac desktop).

This is strange because not every shortcut from Windows is appearing on my Mac. But some are and when I delete them from the Mac desktop, they disappear on the Windows desktop too. Then I go and create a new shortcut, and its back on my Mac. I guess I want Windows programs to only be visible in Windows, but I don't want to install/buy Office (for example) for windows when I have it on my Mac. So if I click on a DOC then I want it to open in my Mac.

Again, I am really just trying to keep my desktop clean. I think everything else is fine.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

2. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

I have been using my iMac and MacBook Pro to perform Development work. I have my VM's set up to use Coherance. Using this mode I get windows apps in their own windows and Mac mac apps as you would expect. This mode seems to me to be the most transparent. I have SQL Server Management windows open on multiple monitors, Visual Studio open on another window, a Apple Remote Desktop connection to my employers server which has a "shared" folder exposing a specific folder on my Mac. I copy files between my VM to this location which then makes it available to to my employer's side via my RDP connection. The reverse is also true.

While cut n paste works between environments flawlessly I find copying large files (I commonly do 80 GB copies) work better if they copy from a shared network drive rather than a cut and paste operation. I have the windows session have a mapped drive to a Mac known folder. (Similar to that of the RDP setup). This has proven to be a very simple yet powerful solution. Again you can copy files between mac and windows via drag and drop however performance seems to suffer on extremely large items. A network copy via a shared maped drive has seemed to be quicker.

As to your last item. I too do not like the default settings of paralles. There exist various esoteric click boxes in the configuration settiings of VMs'. After unchecking several (and lots of trial and error), I can now install an app within windows and the resulting desktop icons DO NOT copy to my mac. Every "upgrade" in my Parallels seems to ignore this customizations and I find myself having to resist them an uncheck these items. A pain that that I live with which is not unbearable. The most annoying thing I have not found a solution for yet is I now have a folder showing up on my mac which provides me "mapped folders" to my windows folders. I also keep getting icons in my dashboard when I specifically tell it not to do that. (They can be removed)

3. William_Pronovost

William_Pronovost Bit poster

So what are your settings that you have found to keep the desktop clear?

4. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

Configure the VM, on the "options" tab, the sharing settings are
    • unchecked shared cloud features
    • unchecked smart mount
    • all "share windows" features are unchecked
    On the "Options/Applications" settings:
    • Share Windows application on Mac checked,
    • Show Dock Icons in Coherance Only checked
    • Share Mac applications with WIndows
    • All other item unchecked.
    On the "Options/Coherance" settings:
    • Show Windows notification area in menu bar checked
    • Allow apps to auto-swithch to full screen unchecked
    On the "Options/Full Screen", "Options/Modality" settings - No changes
    On the "Options Advanced", all items checked.
    On the Security tab, all items unchecked.

I am running a windows 8.1 environment with a "software development" base settings.