Yosemite - Win7 on Parallels - Adobe - External HDD - PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Christian_Gustafsson, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Christian_Gustafsson

Christian_Gustafsson Bit poster

Hi

Hope someone can help, have the same problem or even better, have a soluion, i have a macbook pro retina with 2,6GHz intel core i7 and 16 GB ram. When i got the mac i purchased parallels 9 and was then running on Mavericks OS.

Using Adobe CC series on a daily basis i have alot of files so everything is stored on a external HDD, it has all been working super super good, BUT, after upgrading to Parallels 10 and then Yosemite, Adobe programs (its only these programs that has this problem) are running superslow when ever saving, opening, mounting a file etc, sometimes it runs super smooth, but then it can lock up the program for 1-4 mins and then run ok for a short period. Everything is ok but the Adobe program used states as not responding in the activitymonitor.

I know this might be a question for Apple and Adobe forums, and i have asked the same thing there, but really need to sort out what is causing the problem since alot of working time now goes to waiting for the adobe program to respond.

Thanks in advance!

2. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

By chance is hour external drive a thunderbolt drive? There seems to be an "interrupt" storm since the upgrade to Yosemite. On 2011 flavor systems (i.e, chipset based problems) the problem seems to manifest as "slow performance". Testing shows that the driver is getting "stormed" by interrupts thus consuming the system resources.

If your external drive is a thunderbolt drive, update your system ASAP via ITUNES. Apple literally just dropped an update which I have just applied. Since my application of that patch my testing, albeit very brief, shows that Parallels has returned to usable condition.

Assuming this fails for you may I point out the "NVRAM" debug variable found in other posts? It worked for me allow me to produce a useful system. It should be noted that I also had to change my number of CPU's allocated to the VM down to 1. (These steps seem to be un-needed since my Thunderbolt patch)

Again, I am not Apple nor Parallels so your mileage may vary on these solutions.

3. Christian_Gustafsson

Christian_Gustafsson Bit poster

Thanks for your reply.

The external HDD is connected with USB but that has never been a problem before, its after upgrade to Yosemite/Parallels 10 the issuses started.
    Will try the NVRAM thing to see if it gets better.