5K / Retina iMac... Full screen out freaks out the system

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Joe_Crescenzi, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Joe_Crescenzi

Joe_Crescenzi Bit poster

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I just upgraded to a new 2014 iMac / Retina 5K, and I normally develop Windows software using Parallels in full screen.

If I keep the resolution at 1920x1200 (my old resolution), it's less than 20% of the screen. If I expand to full screen... the thing goes nuts.

Is there a way to make the full screen Windows resolution stable? I'd settle for lower resolution like a 4:1 pixel ratio.

Here's what 1920x1200 looks like right now.

Attached Files:

2. Joe_Crescenzi

Joe_Crescenzi Bit poster

FYI... It looks like I have a temporary fix.

I had to plug my old 1920x1200 monitor into it. Once I loaded Windows 8.1, it told me that for best experience with a second monitor, I should increase the video memory to 512... I agreed and the system seems more stable, so I'm not sure if that's because I'm using the 1920x1200 monitor for the main Windows monitor, or because of the increase in video memory.

Anyhow, I noticed it still created a massive 5K Windows desktop too, and I can drag things between both Windows screens and there is an interesting zooming effect, as the window initially is tiny on the 5K screen at first, but when a certain percentage of the window is mainly on the 5K, the window blows up to give a visual approximation of the size it had on the second screen.

Anyhow, the main thing is it's stable, so far.