Macbook pro..starting from scratch 'cos of HDD crash....

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert Boylan, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Robert Boylan

Robert Boylan Bit poster

Hi All,
    I hope someone on here can help.
    I recently had a HDD creash on my MB pro. I'm using Mavericks and when my new HDD arrives any day now I will reinstall.
    I managed to copy the programmes I use on the Windows virtual machine (with Parallels).

However, when I ''right click'' with the Mac to show what is in those files I can't see the content so I'm not sure if the content has been saved or if it's just not showing. Sadly, as is often in these cases, I didn't do an up to date back-up because I didn't think a 2 year old MB pro would crash so dramatically. (lesson learnt!)

I managed to access the files and save them to an external Drive with the help of Disk Warrior.

Does anyone know how I can check to see?

Also, Do I partition the HDD before I re-install Parallels or will I be given the option to partition the HDD once I install Parallels?

Any assistance is most appreciated.

2. Argelian

Argelian Member

You don't need to partition the HDD at all unless you want to dual boot Mavericks with another Intel based OS without using Parallels. This is why Parallels was created so that you can run Windows, Linux, etc without having to partition your physical HDD to accommodate :) As for the file information, I'm not much help there :(

3. Robert Boylan

Robert Boylan Bit poster

Thanks Argelian...that's really helpful... :)