Mac Freezes after some time Parallels 9

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BeniaminS, Aug 1, 2014.

1. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

Hello,

I have MacBook Air 11" 2013.
    OSX Maverics + Parallels Desktop 9 with Win 7.

I noticed that when the VM is running and I close the Macbook's lid it goes to sleep..that OK...but soemtimes after few hours when i open it the Mac freezes that i have to turn it off with button.
    Sometimes it leads to file corruption.
    I think it is problem with PD9 that it hangs the system because of the sleep or something like that.

Can someone give any feedback or have simillar problems?
    Thanks

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi BeniaminS,

Please generate a Problem report ID : http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the Problem report number, so we can check it for you.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Additionally I suggest running Apple Diagnostics because the symptoms can be related to hardware problems, hopefully there are no issues with the hardware, but just to make sure: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5781

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

Hello,

There is no problem with hardware... The problem lays in Parallels because only when Parallels 9 is running this situation occurs.
    The problem occurs in sitauation like : Run Parallels 9 with VM (win7) --> close the Mac's Lid --> for examples after 4 hours --> open the Lid --> Mac is freezed tottally or sometimes it is not. I didn't count the time exactly.

I reported the Problem with ID # 48607913

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This assessment is not correct, months ago I troubleshooted a user that had his mac freeze only when running Parallels, the issue was that he had faulty RAM, the reason that it just occurred when running Parallels was because Parallels was the only app in his Mac that used great amounts of RAM at once and thus the one that was more likely to hit the faulty memory addresses. I'm just telling you this so you don't discard that possibility only because it only happens in Parallels, in all likelihood Parallels running Windows 7 will be the most memory intensive application in your mac.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Also, is there any external hardware connected to the Mac when this happens? Does it still happen if that hardware is not connected?

7. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

No there is not external device connected. Only Macbook Air. On battery. I didn't check if this happen when it is connected to power source.

And the Apple Diagnosis didn;t find any problem with Mac.

It's not the RAM problem because i use more RAM etensive apps ( Final Cut or LightRoom ) and they do not freeze my Mac or generate anomalies in system. Maybe PD9 has some problems with drivers related to Power Management.

8. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

Any news about this issue?
    Installed OSX Yosemite and the problem is still present.
    Do you even try to find the solution or you just dump it to the trash?
    As i said before, when VM is running and i close the lid, next day ( or after few hours) the computer is in total freeze. Only power it off and then power on help.

9. Brian_Stachowiak

Brian_Stachowiak Bit poster

I began having this problem after upgrading to PD10 last week. Two days in a row now my Mac will be crashed hard requiring a power button hold to get it to come back up. I had no problems with PD9 for months.

10. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

So this is not only single-user problem. Also others have simillar issues.
    Question to paralles, are you investigating this problem?
    @brian : Do you experience this problem when you close the lid?

11. Abdul@Parallels

Hi BeniaminS,

Please try installing the latest update of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac (build 9.0.24251) and let us know how it goes.
    Download the latest build of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac from : http://parallels.com/directdownload/pd9

12. Abdul@Parallels

Hi Brian,

Please generate a Problem report ID : http://kb.parallels.com/9058and provide us the Problem report number, so we can check it for you.

13. Brian_Stachowiak

Brian_Stachowiak Bit poster

I began having this problem after upgrading to PD10 last week. Two days in a row now my Mac will be crashed hard requiring a power button hold to get it to come back up. I had no problems with PD9 for months.
    Yes, I'll close the lid and in a few hours it will be crashed. Not consistently though.

14. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

I have the latest PD9 version. 9.0.24251
    I can only upgrade to PD10. But it seems that PD10 also has this problem.

15. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

I have the latest PD9 version. 9.0.24251
    I can only upgrade to PD10. But it seems that PD10 also has this problem.

16. Abdul@Parallels

Thank you BeniaminS for letting us know your Parallels Desktop build. Please provide us a recent problem report ID : http://kb.parallels.com/9058 as the previous report contains the previous version/build number.

17. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

I created the report and sent it to Parallels.
    Report ID: 53623357

18. Abdul@Parallels

Hi BeniaminS,

Thank you and please check your private message.

19. BeniaminS

BeniaminS Junior Member

After doing stuff which support told me i still have the problem.
    I use VM with Win7 in full screen. When i close the lid (after few hours) Mac is in total freeze. Only power off with hardware button and power up can be done.
    Please investigate the sleep problem.
    ps. Please don't tell me to send report id because nothing have changed in my config. Previous ID is still valid ( ID 53623357 ).
    Something is wrong with sleeping.

20. AshrafH1

AshrafH1 Bit poster

i am running parallels Version 10.1.3 (28868) and i started facing the same problem of mac freeze after long time of lid closed. Every time i restart parallels i get a window that says there is an update available but nothing is installed when i click install updates button. also when i manually check updates i get that i am running the latest. This is a very annoying error because i have to force restart my mac after long hours of sleep. any update on a resolution ?