Parallels 10 running slow on Yosemite

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Housedoctor, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Boyd Petersen

Boyd Petersen Bit poster

My apologies. I did send the issue over to apple per your link.

Since you guys know this is a problem can't you execute this command as part of the installation process though?

2. James_Vandernaald

James_Vandernaald Bit poster

Thanks to HouseDoctor for his fix (received from Parallels) that fixed my extremely slow Parallels/Windows performance. I kick myself for not having found this on the forum earlier. I really fault Parallels for not having issued an update, given that they were aware of the Yosemite problem. Before this fix, I uninstalled Windows and Parallels, re-installed them, lost all my custom setting in the process, lost a crucial application (that I never had the disk version for) and paid $99 for a new one. And, I bought a subscription for Office 365 out of desperation. None of this fixed anything. Effectively, the Windows 7 side of my Mac didn't work for five days. My stupidity for not having checked the forum, but I automatically assumed that Parallels would issue an application update if they were aware of the problem which it seems they were.

3. James_Vandernaald

James_Vandernaald Bit poster

Not a defense to say it's an Apple problem. We are not rocket scientists and Parallels should have gotten Apple to issue an update, or should have emailed all its users warning them of this problem with Yosemite and how to fix it. Not OK!

4. David_Jorgensen

David_Jorgensen Bit poster

The boot arg seem to work at first but now Parallels 10 (Mid 2009 macbook pro, Removed optical drive and added SSD which i have all of my process running off of + OSX 10.10.1) will only work if I turn my computer on and then restart the computer. If I just turn on and open parallels it will lag and freeze up. Im glad ive figured out how to get it working but it is a bit of a pain in the ass to have to restart every time I want to open Parallels.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

5. Sammer_Arnouk

Sammer_Arnouk Bit poster

Thank you Fred. It worked like a charm. I was ready to dump Parallels and get my money back but thanks to your solution, the problem is now resolved.

6. Stephen Van Dellen

Stephen Van Dellen Member

So does it work better to set debug=0xd4e as recommended in the earlier posts in this thread or to 0x10 as recommended in http://kb.parallels.com/122767?
    I've got it set to 0xd4E now. I haven't seen it take minutes to do things lately like it used to but I think it's still intermittently slower then PD9.

7. JOHNS2

JOHNS2 Bit poster

This remedy appears to resolve the same issues for me. Interestingly, 3 or 4 calls to the Parallels help desk never revealed the fix. I bet I wasted 20 hours of time and a couple of hundred dollars in vain attempts to remedy the problem. While I'm thankful the fix is achieved, I must admit that (1) I am shocked that Parallels did not immediately remedy its installation program, and (2) the help desk did not recognize the issue.

8. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi John,

As you may have noticed from my previous posts, I was upset like you are now about this Parallels 10 features.
    I usually use Parallels to compile ROM's in Linux (as it is almost impossible to set-up a reliable build environment under OsX !) and so I really need the full power of my computer because that eats up A LOT of resources.
    Well, some weeks ago I had to perform a complete reinstall of my system... Downloaded the latest Parallels version and got not problems whatsoever running and using the 16 hyperthreaded cores of my Mac Pro right out of the Box. So : no problems here anymore with Parallels.
    Now I am really waiting for Parallels to FULLY support Arch Linux so I may be able to build with Arch, which is supposed to be more efficient for the task !

So here's one simple question : did you experience the problems with the latest version of Parallels ? I believe one has been released in the last few days...

Regards.

FRED

9. hackmodford

hackmodford Junior Member

I think Apple fixed this issue in 10.10.2
    I updated the Mac OS X then for giggles removed the boot argument.
    So far it has been running without issues.

10. JOHNS2

JOHNS2 Bit poster

11. JOHNS2

JOHNS2 Bit poster

How do you remove the boot argument? My machine keeps crashing after about 1/2 hour on the windows side. I wonder if it's because I haven't remover the boot argument.

12. JOHNS2

JOHNS2 Bit poster

How do you remove the boot argument? My machine keeps crashing after about 1/2 hour on the windows side. I wonder if it's because I haven't remover the boot argument.

13. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi John,

Please try with the following command to disable the boot argument :
    sudo nvram -d boot-args="debug=0x10"
    Or, it can also be Reset as suggested at https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204063

14. RSWorden

RSWorden Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro Early-2011. I experienced the same slow performance described here. The 0xd4e setting seems to have fixed it for me. I queried my existing NVRAM settings and did not already have any boot-args, so I did not need to preserve anything.

My question is: what is this debug setting actually doing? I have seen several questions on the web about this - Parallels is not the only software with the issue, some VMWare versions have it too. The answers I have seen all want to tell people what sudo does, what NVRAM is, and what a debug setting is. None seem to explain this specific hex value - what it is, or what the bits it represent are turning on and off. Parallels people, please let us know exactly what this does and why we need it, so we can be informed of its potential side effects and interactions with other software.

Thank you.

15. RonaldNC

RonaldNC Bit poster

I agree. I've been running Windows 7 on Parallels 10 and it is painfully slow. I've tried all the tricks posted on this forum and nothing has improved. I've been using since Parallels 6 and this is the worse version yet... slow and unstable... it will be my last upgrade! I'm working desperately to get all my applications off the Windows environment and using only native Mac applications.

16. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello RSWorden,
    Please check your Private message.

17. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ronald,
    Please check your Private message.

18. SergioR1

SergioR1 Bit poster

Why is this being addressed in a private message? I think everyone deserves to know what they're running at the command line. People that come to this thread via Google are going to want to know the same.

19. saharmohamedali

saharmohamedali Bit poster

very gooooood

20. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi All,
    Please update Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac to the latest build 10.2.1 (29006) and follow these steps:
    1. Start Parallels Desktop and run virtual machine.
    2. Follow the instructions from http://kb.parallels.com/117114 NOTE: do not follow _step 7_!
    3. Save the Terminal output in the text document.
    You may also try http://kb.parallels.com/116263 to fix this issue.