OSX key macro app doesn't work in P8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HahnB, Dec 1, 2012.

1. HahnB

HahnB Junior Member

Allow me to elaborate.

I use an application that maps trackpad gestures to key combinations (JiTouch). It's quite straightforward. I can map a gesture that automatically enters the keyboard combination 'CTRL + W' to close a browser tab, for example.

This has worked flawlessly for me in P6, P7, as well as VMWare Fusion 3-5. Not working at all in P8. It only registers the "W" and not the "CTRL". More generally, it doesn't register any modifier keys at all when using JiTouch or other gesture-to-keycombo apps.

I realize that it isn't really the responsibility of Parallels to support 3rd party applications such as these. I am simply beseeching anyone in the know for any sort of insight into this problem. I really don't want to switch to VMWare Fusion 5, but my precious gestures really make life so much easier for me. Thank you and god bless.

2. StevenLi

StevenLi Bit poster

Exactly the same problem here. Been using Jitouch for virtual machine shortcuts under Parallels 7 extensively, but since updated to 8 even the basic combinations (e.g I set four finger click to cmd+q, which previously mapped to the virtual machine as alt+F4) now won't work. Every gesture gets only the character through, WITHOUT THE MODIFIER KEYS. So now when I press four fingers on trackpad, "q" is pressed in the virtual machine.

It seems some changes were made for version 8 on modifier key handling that's causing this. Could someone please explain what is it so maybe I can figure out a workaround ... If you have already found a solution please let me know !! It's been very frustrating.

Thank you !!

3. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Aggrr, I was hoping this was just me. But I have the same exact issue. Except I use bettertouchtool but none of the modifier keys are received by Parallels. Sigh.. Any word?

4. HahnB

HahnB Junior Member

Can anyone tell me if Parallels 10 still has this problem? The issues I'm having with vmware are beginning to pile up and I want to switch.

5. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Which tool do you want tested? Try P10 trial. I use better touch tool and it does send modifiers across. You do have to have "send keys to VM" set to always of course.

6. HahnB

HahnB Junior Member

I can't find the "send Keys to VM" setting. Where is it?

7. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Go into parallels => preferences. Select shortcuts. Select system shortcuts. And set the dropdown to "Always".

8. HahnB

HahnB Junior Member

is there any reason why this setting would be greyed out and unchangeable in the trial?

9. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

You have to give Parallels permissions to capture keyboard keys.

Go into system prefs on your mac. Security & privacy. Click accessibility. Click the lock icon on the bottom right if it's locked. Enter password if it asks. Then make sure there is a checkbox next to Parallels desktop. Once you check that the option should be available.

10. HahnB

HahnB Junior Member

Thank you for all the tips. It looks like the problematic behavior is still there in the P10 trial. It works for any key combo that is two keys, e.g. 'ctrl + tab' but not for any combo that is more than two keys such as 'ctrl + shift + tab'

11. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Do you have any other key changer installed? Like Karabiner, or keyremap4macbook?