Virtual disk corruption with Parallels 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by totvos, Oct 27, 2014.

1. totvos

totvos Member

I use Parallels every single day for work as a software developer, on my MBP running Mountain Lion and, recently, Yosemite. I have been using P9 flawlessly with Windows 7, and very recently upgraded to P10. While the speed boost was noticeable, after about 2 days I started to get corrupted files. After several hours thinking it was something I was doing, it started to look like it was P10 that was the culprit. Because I had a deadline, I restored my disks from a P9 backup (losing a couple of days of work!), restored P9, and continued work. Again, flawlessly. When I had more time, I decided to give P10 another try. Upgraded, worked for a couple of days, and again, corrupted disks.

I now have to revert again, but wanted to get this out there in case there is something known that can fix this. I was running the original P10 in the first occurrence, and in the latest I was running the updated 10.1.0 (28600).

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Totvos,

New build for Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac has been launched 10.1.1 (28614). Please download and install the latest build from www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10 and let us know if your issue still persists.
    We are happy to help you.

3. totvos

totvos Member

Thank you, yes, I installed that this morning and will not revert to P9 quite yet. But I have to ask: are you suggesting that build because an issue was specifically addressed with respect to virtual disks possibly being corrupted, or is that just a standard support line?

4. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Totvos,
    In the latest build of Parallels Desktop, the issues were fixed. So just to make sure to fix the issue, I suggested you to update Parallels Desktop.
    If the issue still persists in the latest build as well, please submit a Support Ticket at http://www.parallels.com/support/request/
    One of our Engineers will help you with that.

5. totvos

totvos Member

For those following this thread, I have submitted a support ticket because the problem surfaced yet again with the build that was claimed to fix this. So at present, I cannot use P10 for more than a day or two before files start to get randomly corrupted, and am now forced to revert to P9 to enable me to get my work done. Some features of this problem (for me) include:

1. They occur on a compressed NTFS volume, as it appears to Windows 7;
    2. The problem occurs randomly, after a period of several days;
    3. The "corruption" appears as random repeated characters at the beginning or end of one or more files.
    It would be helpful if at least one other person has similar observations.

6. totvos

totvos Member

7. totvos

totvos Member

As an update to this topic, I have been running successfully since my last post without any corruption. The solution, clearly, was to turn off "real-time virtual disk optimization", and I continue to be baffled that Support did not even suggest this as an option.

Dmitry_Yasser likes this.
  8. Dmitry_Yasser

Dmitry_Yasser Bit poster

I've been having the worst experience from using Parallels Desktop once upgraded to version 10.1.1.
    My Windows guest VMs became unresponsive with no obvious reason. I had to Force Quit my VMs, but then PD10 was using all CPU time with no VMs running.
    Monosnap 2014-12-09 11-07-53.jpg
    So I needed to kill Parallels Desktop process itself. Also, Parallels Desktop hang when I tried to copy paste some plain text from VM to OS X. Nightmare.
    pic2.jpg
    This never happened on PD9 on the same machine.
    Support is not helping much, just sending some generic FAQ notes, and telling to decrease amount of RAM allocated to VMs.
    I even sent process sample and crash log to the support, but they just ignored that.

After a week of constant freezing and other issues I've downgraded to PD9. This is so much better now!
    I'm glad I found this thread on forums. I'm going to try a solution with turning off "real-time virtual disk optimization" once I am brave enough to install PD10 again.

9. Dmitry_Yasser

Dmitry_Yasser Bit poster

Hi,
    Just a quick update. Upgraded again to PD10 (10.1.1). Turned off "real time virtual disk optimization" on both Windows VMw and boom!
    It works as it should! No more freezes and high CPU utilisation.
    Thanks to totvos