Does switching to a new computer require a complete Windows reinstall?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mark F, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Mark F

Mark F Member

Hi,
    I'm purchasing a new iMac in the next couple of weeks and understand that I have to upgrade to Parallels v10. Currently I run W7 under Parallels v6.
    1. Do I have to uninstall W7 on the old computer before I can install it on the new iMac?
    2. Is there any way to just to a transfer the W7 installation to the new iMac running Yosemite and Parallels 10? I'd like to avoid a total reinstall of W7 if possible. WHen I installed it the first time it took forever to install and then get all the updates.

THanks.

Mark

2. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

You should be able to simply copy the parallels "VM" file to your new system. ON the new system install Parallels V10. Point it to your "old" files and you should be up and running. You will get a question which warns you about running two copies of same VM. Basically it detects your new Mac's MAC address. If you let it change the "MAC" associated with the file, Windows might un-activate. I use the "I moved it" option.

Don't forget to install the new tools.

3. Mark F

Mark F Member

Thanks L2Lensman. Sorry if I'm being a little dense but where are the VM files. I looked under Applications and see nothing by that name, only Parallels and Parallels Desktop.

4. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

That really depends on where you told it to put things and what you called them. I for example have a "Parallels" folder in my "Documents" user specific folder. That folder contains a file named "Windows 8.1.pvm". This is the "VM" file. In the world of "MAC" you get multiple files under one filename (when compared to windows world). Thus if you were to copy/drag/etc., this folder to another location you copy your entire VM. You are not copying the Parallels program but the VM it uses. (Virtual Machine = VM)

Obviously you would not want to do this while running the critter. When you install 10.x you will have the option to "open existing" or create new VM. Point it to your existing VM and are basically "done".

5. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

To copy this to my MacBook Pro from my IMAC, I copied the folder to an external drive, disconnected the drive. Hooked it up to MacBook. Copied the file to my MacBooks local SSD drive and disconnected external drive (after copying). That was all I had to do other than have Parallels "use" this file.

Obviously you cannot run both instances as the same time otherwise you violate your license agreements. If you have the licenses then nothing stops you.

6. Mark F

Mark F Member

Found it! Just as you described, it's n my Documents and titled Windows 7.pvm

Thanks veru much. I think you've saved me hours of work. BTW, when you made the transfer, did Windows ask for the license number? If so I guess I will have to uninstall on the old iMac.

7. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

WIndows will detect it as a new system IF and only if you tell Parallels to generate a new installation. If you tell Parallels that you simply moved your VM it keeps the existing IDS.

8. Mark F

Mark F Member

Great! Thanks again.