Mouse acting up after upgrade form Parallels Desktop for Mac 9 -> 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TakeCtrl, Dec 5, 2014.

1. TakeCtrl

TakeCtrl Bit poster

I'm running Yosemite on my MBPR and i'm running Windows 8.1 as a guest OS. I have three monitors and run the guest in Fullscreen mode. Everything has been working great... until I upgraded to Parallels desktop for Mac 10.

Now, when moving from one monitor to the other, I notice that the first click sets focus to the application on that screen, but the click isn't registered. If i click on an OK button on my right monitor when I've been working on my center one, i will have to click it a second time because the first click will just put the focus on the window that OK button is in.

I also noticed that plenty of times, I click on something, and then move my mouse shorlty afterward and the "let-up" of the left mouse button is registered .5-1 second after the click, making it seem like a click and drag. This is really annoying when clicking on the taskbar as it brings up the modification menu, instead of changing focus to that application.

I've also noticed that quite often when clicking on an item in Outlook, it registers as a double-click and opens the email in a new window.

All of these problems are intermittent, though they happen 5-10 minutes after restarting Parallels. I've also noticed when changing settings in my VM while it's running, Parallels will lock up and needs to be Force Quit to get it working again.

I've reached out to support, though they poked around for 45 minutes and didn't make any relevant changes. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what I've tried:
    1) Re-installing Parallels tools.
    2) Removing the mouse drivers from the VM and re-adding them.
    3) Changing the gaming mouse options from automatic to enabled, to disabled, and back to automatic.
    4) I've tested OSX full screen on/off and there doesn't seem to be a difference.
    5) I've rebooted the guest/host plenty of times. It works fine after restarting Parallels for 5-10 minutes then starts happening again.
    6) I've tried Windows and Coherence mode, though the problems happen there as well.
    7) In Yosemite, none of the problems exist. It's only when working in the Guest VM
    8) The VM performance settings are set to maximize performance (not battery) and are set to a faster VM rather than host.

Jacob Sharir likes this.
  2. Christopher_Golden

Christopher_Golden Bit poster

I have had this exact same problem with Yosemite and Parallels 10. In addition to what you mentioned I also have a major issue with trying to drag things from one window to another. The drag event will sometimes end randomly without my having let go of the mouse. This is all using a Magic Mouse. None of this was an issue with Parallels 9. Before I was irritated at how slow parallels is, now I'm irritated because many of my actions get ignored or randomly cancelled in the middle...

3. TakeCtrl

TakeCtrl Bit poster

I uninstalled 10 and went back to Parallels 9 and everything's been working great. I'll try 10 again after a couple months to see if the bugs have been worked out.

4. Eric_Kalpakoff

Eric_Kalpakoff Bit poster

I have the exact same issue. This is a huge bug that makes their software completely unusable. Called tech support and they changed the mouse options in the config and re-installed Parallels Tools, I knew that would help, been there done that. I need to install 9 again. 10 is a piece.

5. Scott_Alexander

Scott_Alexander Bit poster

I am having the same mouse/dragging/clicking issue, even after installing the latest 10.1.2 (28859) version.
    The easiest consistent repro I have is to start my Win 8 VM, open Chrome with a few tabs, then try to tear a tab off and drag it to another window. Once the tab is torn off it drops the tab and fires a mouse down at the same time.
    I am able to solve the Chrome tab issue by configuring the mouse to "Optimize for games" but the performance is unusable.

6. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Unfortunately I switched back to 9 for now. I submitted the problem, hopefully next update they will get it fixed.

7. JakeF

JakeF Bit poster

Just a heads up that it looks like this issue is FINALLY resolved as of the latest patch
    Version 10.2.0 (28956)

8. JakeF

JakeF Bit poster

UPDATE: So it's sort of fixed. Today I noticed that Scott_Alexander's example of tearing a Chrome tab off to a new window is still not working correctly. With this said, the problem is much improved (at least for me). This is true in both my Win 8.1 and Win 7 VMs.