Where is option to not display virtual machines in the Dock?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Robert Grether, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Robert Grether

Robert Grether Junior Member

According to the 10.1.2 build details, there is now an option to not display virtual machines in the Dock. I cannot find this option anywhere; can someone please point me to it? Thanks!

2. Marshall Dunbar

Marshall Dunbar Junior Member

I am looking for the same thing. I can't find any option and no documentation or post on the parallels site either. Where is this hidden setting?

3. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,
    Please plug in the power adapter/ charger to your Mac computer
    Open Parallels Desktop.
    Click on Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> General -> Virtual Machine Dock Icons -> Choose : None from the drop down menu and check.

4. Vaughan Braddon

Vaughan Braddon Bit poster

I have selected this option but is does not seem to work. I still see a windows icon in the dock? I've tried restarting my machine, parallels and the guest os, and nothing I do seems to make a difference. The option is definitely set to none. I can see a change when I set it to display a live screen shot, but I cannot remove the icon completely?

5. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Vaughan Braddon,

That shouldn't happen. Please try reinstalling the application, hopefully that should help you in resolving the issue. May be while updating there might have been a conflict.

Please download Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac latest build from : www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10 and install it.
    Now the Dock icon should function in the desired way.

**Note** : Your Windows Virtual Machine will remain the same even if Parallels Desktop application is reinstalled.

6. Vaughan Braddon

7. Vaughan Braddon

Still no response to this? This feature does not work for me.

8. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue. The setting of dock icon option to "none" does not affect coherence mode. It works only for single window mode. There is no way to remove the virtual machine dock icon for coherence mode.

9. Hi @OlegA, the Windows icon in Dock (when VM is in Coherence mode) is the by design behavior in Parallels Desktop 10 (build 10.2.1)
    Also as we know in previous builds there was an option to remove VM icon from Dock.