Control+Shift+<Any Key> Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Sara O, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Sara O

Sara O Bit poster

Hi, I've been evaluating Parallels Desktop for purchase. This is the only issue that I've encountered that I haven't been able to resolve yet, and this is a pretty big issue for me, since I do a lot of text editing. Normally, in Windows I can do Control+Shift+End and that key combination will highlight from the current position of the mouse cursor to the end of the document. However, when running Windows in Parallels, it does not do this. The same holds true with any key combination involving Control+Shift. Now, here's the wrinkle. This only happens when using an external keyboard. If I am using the MacBook Pro keyboard, it works, but when using an external USB keyboard it doesn't.

I have discovered that Control + Shift + Windows Key + <Any Key> will essentially do what I want, but that key combination is much more involved.

I have followed the suggestions at the following URL - http://kb.parallels.com/en/113932, but none of these seem to help. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels Tools on Windows. This seems to be an issue specifically with Parallels, because when booting directly into Windows this works, and it also works in VMWare Fusion without any problem.

Like I said, at the moment, this is the only issue that I haven't been able to resolve with Parallels, but it's a show stopper for me.

My computer and VM setup is:
    • MacBook Pro - OS X v10.9.3
    • Windows 8.1 (BootCamp)
    • Parallels Desktop 9

2. Sara O

Sara O Bit poster

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

3. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Sara O,

Please go to the Parallels Desktop menu > Preferences > Shortcuts tab > System Shortcuts > set 'Send System Shortcuts' option to 'Always'. Restart Virtual Machine and use Ctrl + Shift and let us know how it works.

4. Sara O

Sara O Bit poster

Ram,

I appreciate the help, but unfortunately yesterday was the last day of my Paralllels trial, so I can no longer test your solution.

Thanks,
    Sara

5. Sara O

Sara O Bit poster

Looks like my trial is still working even though I received an email saying my trial had expired. I made this change, but Control+Shift still didn't work.

6. davert

davert Member

I am having the same problem. Registered user. Even using the menu at the top which is supposed to send commands, does not work.
    This, plus the incredibly aggravating game of "find the support site" and nginx errors on my first three attempts to log into the forums, lead me to think I should be moving over to VMWare.
    Oh, nice. Moderation. Just solidify my decision.

7. Rwom

Rwom Bit poster

I don't know what to suggest for the menu that sends key combos to the VM but did you try using the other Ctrl key on the keyboard? VM software often has a specific key designated for use with key combos that are meant for the host or VM software. Other pressed key combos that don't use the one special key are sent to the guest VM. A VM program I used in the past designated the right Ctrl key as the special key so if I wanted to use a key combo in a VM I had to use the left Ctrl key. I don't remember seeing Parallels' special key setting but I remember I had to press the right Ctrl and Alt with Parallels 9 to release the mouse from a VM so I could use the mouse in the host operating system.

8. PaulT1

PaulT1 Junior Member

9. Looser

Looser Bit poster

It is really annoying: Since Parallels 3 or so, there are keyboard issues every two to three years: Whereas in Parallels 9 everything works fine, no ctrl-shift-anything is transmitted to my virtual windows 7 machine on a MacPro using Yosemite.
    As I was able to figure out, all ctrl-shift-anything are transmitted as ctrl-shift-(null)!!
    All recipes I found ("optimize for games" and "transmit system shortcuts") don't work and the answer from support had a link to a help page for Parallels 6 and 7!!!!
    Really, I do not call this quality!
    Maybe I should, after a long time, checkout VMWare again.

10. Looser

Looser Bit poster

I maybe found the culprit:
    It seems that Parallels 10 does not register a HID keyboard device . I only see a PS/2 Keyboard in the device manager what meens that the error is probably in Parallels Tools.
    Such things should really be tested by Parallels and not by its customers!