Same old crap with build 5060

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Stevamundo, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I downloaded the beta last night. The SAME DIRECTX INCOMPATIBILITIES! This beta has improved NOTHING in that category. I still can't play DVDs, can't run simple games. In Vista, I can't run all but two of Vista's built-in games while DirectX is enabled. Also Vista's videos are STILL chopping.

However I like the fact that Parallels has finally figure out that the Parallels application should act like any another Mac application. So that's an improvement.

BTW, my Parallels' windows size problem still exists in this beta.

2. aguydude

aguydude Member

Do the release notes to 5060 claim that DirectX compatibility is fixed?

3. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I don't know. However the build of 4560 is the third OFFICIAL release of 3.0. Do NOT OFFICIALLY release ANOTHER build of 3.0 without fixing the DirectX incompatibilities.

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Steve,

While I know you are unhappy, I honest don't think commanding Parallels to not release another 3.0 build without DirectX fixes is something they will listen to.

Parallels seems to have a mind of it's own. They do what they want, when they want, and to hell with the customer base.

I'm one of the lucky ones that really doesn't have any problems as I use Parallels for Windows development tools ONLY. However I purchased Fusion as an alternative. I can't believe Parallels will continue on the road to glory unless they fix their processes:

Having a working product is important
    But far more important is a working usable support system/chain.

I learned long ago that it is definitely ok for software to be broken. It is certainly NOT ok to not communicate with customers. In the long run this will result in the downfall of this company.

M

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Probably not, if simply for the reason that the major DirectX changes are scheduled for 3.5. A list of programs that are expected to be working and aren't would be more helpful than telling Parallels to fix "DirectX incompatibilities".

The company itself perhaps, but the developers seem to be at least trying to take users' requests into consideration. I doubt that will make you feel much better though if you are one of the people who's requests seem to have gone unheard.

I agree, I have heard a lot of not so great things about Parallels support. As for communication, I think there needs to be a list of known issues for each build that is actively updated as new issues are discovered. There needs to then be a working resolution for each issue available, whether it is downgrading, reinstalling Parallels, or even reinstalling Windows, whatever is necessary to fix the problem until a more permanent fix is available.

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I've specified what simple Windows features that doesn't work while DirectX is enabled OVER AND OVER.

BTW, Parallels have told us that 3.5 will have DirectX 9.

7. brkirch

brkirch Pro

If you want something fixed, just say exactly what does not work and what happens instead and it might actually get fixed next build. Repeated reports of a problem will only make it more likely to be noticed if you include all of the details each time you report the problem.

Yes, so the current DirectX problems will have to be fixed soon regardless.

8. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I thought you said you were removing Parallels and going to use Fusion.

Stop coming over here and starting these inflammatory posts.

9. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Touchy aren't we? So since when describing the facts become inflammatory posts?

10. Wally_Mac

Wally_Mac Member

Stevamundo,

Parallels has proven to be quite reliable and very stable for me thus far; not 100% perfect in all respects, but currently far superior to anything else.... I don't do much DirectX gaming, but If I did, a PC built for that is what I'd use.
    I know that the Parallels team is working on the DirectX support, and based on my experience, they've built a solid foundation for their path forward.
    You keep mentioning that you're made the switch to something else, and yes, that is you prerogative... however I tend to agree with Wingdo... why would you even bother wasting your time antagonizing people... unless, you've determined, much as I have, that the alternative solution is not even close (at least not for another few months or more)......

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt Member

Going on a caps rampage over features not implemented in a beta without first checking the changelist might not be inflammatory, but it certainly makes it hard for me to take anything you say seriously.

12. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Steve,

your comments are always the same, read the log's before bashing again.

go away and enjoy vmware :)

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

bk...

I think that a "bug list" for a product such as this would have to be dynamic as things would change quickly.

As far as their being a resolution to every issue, I don't believe that is possible. IE I think there will with any complex product be certain things that simply don't work until fixed in a future release.

The best way to deal with these things is to simply acknowledge them. Example:

iPhone will not sync with Parallels 3.0 build XXXX.

Solution: None. We expect to add iPhone support soon.

This is clear communication that there is an issue using iPhone with Parallels. There is NO work around, no solution. But they know about the problem.

This gives the user the chance to say, ok... I can live with this, or I cannot. Either way the forum (and Parallels) is not blasted with messages about iPhone and users are given clear information.

As you say, when a work around is available obviously it should be shown and documented with the item.

Some companies fear that if they published a bug list the list would be so long as to dissuade possible purchasers of the product. I have found the opposite to be true. Very few people expect perfection. If they can scan the list and see that the item they are interested in using is NOT on the list of problems then they feel better about their purchase.

M

14. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

I thought there is iPhone support in build 5060?

15. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

It was nothing more than an example of how they could address/document issues.

Frankly with how buggy USB has been I've turned it off. I wouldn't trust an iPhone to the USB of Parallels.

M

16. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hello everyone!

We constantly monitor our forum for anything that concerns our customers. We take care of the issues along following the development plans of our own. the Directx 9 is going to be there and we are taking care of it, but the new beta and the release that will follow is aimed on improving the existing DirectX functionality along with other features.
    The thread is closed since there is not much to add.
    Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.