Access severely impacting host Mac performance

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by iduff, Jan 20, 2015.

1. iduff

iduff Product Expert

MacBook Pro 6,1 2.66GHz Core i7, 8GB, upgraded to 500 GB SSD
    OS X 10.10.1 (updated to latest)
    Access 2.5.0 (updated to latest), loads at system start

Symptoms included gradually diminishing performance between reboots, similar to that experienced during a memory leak, and incredibly long shutdown/restart times, where the spinner that appears during a shutdown/restart would persist for 30-40 minutes. Or more.

Isolation efforts, based on using the Googler, included monitoring memory usage to confirm or debunk memory leak (debunked), running Onyx to clean up system and delete caches, cleaning out orphaned Parallels Desktop for Mac files, toggling between restore windows and don't restore windows during repeated restarts. None worked.

Finally came across obscure reference to Access as distant possibility. Checked for updates to ensure it was latest, problem still persisted. Removed everything using CleanMyMac2. Problem solved. Restart times are now back in the ~5 second range.

Reproducible. Happy to do so and send any logs or whatever to help isolate so you can fix. Until then, Access in no longer useable for me.

2. iduff

iduff Product Expert

An update to this problem. Not only is Parallels Access a performance issue, but so apparently is having Spaces enabled on an external monitor.

Performance returned after deleting Access, but then started to degrade again. There were no traces of Access on my system when this returned. More Googling, and I discovered that turning off Spaces for external monitors has also helped.

System Preferences | Mission Control | uncheck "Displays have separate Spaces"

I will continue to monitor and report any updates.

3. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Update two
    Turning off Spaces for external monitors continues to show acceptable performance. I'll re-install the latest Access and see if the earlier symptoms remain at bay. I'll report results here after a few days monitoring performance.

4. iduff

iduff Product Expert

I've re-installed Access, with no ill effects. Spaces on external monitors seems to be the culprit. Case closed for me.