Parallels 10 + Yosemite host => can't install Yosemite as guest :-(

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by FredUntu, Jan 26, 2015.

1. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi,
    I am trying to install MacOsX Yosemite as a guest OS.

My machine is installed with MacOs X Yosemite (all updates made) and Parallels 10 (all updates made).

Parallels created the "boot" image for Yosemite successfully.
    But when I try to launch the VM, it says "OsX guest can only run on host with Leopard (1.5) or Tiger (10.4).

I may point out that what I am trying to do should be possible and is advertised as such on this page :
    http://blogs.parallels.com/consumer...ite-parallels-desktop-10-the-complete-rundown

You may ask "Why do you want to run Yosemite as a guest in a Yosemite host" ?
    Simply put : because I would like to try to set-up a build environment for Android in my Mac.
    And that supposes to install a lot of things... and I would like to test them BEFORE I pollute my work environment with it.

So if there's a workaround, I'd be more than glad to get it.
    Meanwhile, I will of course try VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox... let's start looking at the competition, especially when the latter is FREE !

2. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi,

Replying to myself just to mention that installing MacOsX Yosemite as a guest in MacOsX Yosemite as a host seems to work perfectly if using VMWare Fusion 7.
    Ticket opened with Parallels.
    Hope they'll prove their product is on par with their competitor !

Regards.

3. M.B.

M.B. Bit poster

I got a MBA with Yosemite preinstalled and installed a Yosemite guest with the underlying recovery partition - no problems at all.

4. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi M. B.,
    Would like to know how you did that...
    If I open Parallels and ask to create a new VM, it offers several choices :
    - 1°) install a new OS from the DVD or a USB drive ;
    - 2°) migrate from Windows on a PC ;
    - 3°) install a free system : Win10 ; ModernIE ; ChromeOS ; Ubuntu
    - 4°) add an existing machine

If I ask to install a new OS (which seems the choice to be) it offers to install from "Yosemite.app" which is the downloaded Yosemite installer.
    The choice is offered "automatically"... so you'd think that if he can recognize the installer, it can also use it.
    BUT : if I choose that, all it says is : "Parallels must create a bootable image"... and fails at doing so, unless I take the file out of the "Applications" folder (which, I suppose, is because the Applications folder is a "root" folder that you can't write onto without specific permissions... a thing you'd think Parallels would be aware of !).
    After I move the file and Parallels has created the bootable drive, Parallels comes with a warning : "OsX can only be installed from a machine running Tiger or Lion" !

The procedure that installs MacOsX from wthe recovery is indeed working like a charm in VMWare Fusion... but the machine is somewhat sluggish.

So if you could just give me a hint on how to achieve this on Parallels, I'd gladly give it a try...

Needless to say that I opened a support ticket, but have absolutely no confidence Parallels would care to answer it.

Regards.

5. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi M. B.,

Well, same as before : replying to myself !

It seems that, in the latest versions of Parallels, they simply removed the ability to install MacOs.

So, a feature has vanished or at least so it seems...

Now I'm curious about how Parallels will handle this if, indeed, they took that feature away. Because all their website is only one claim : PD 10 is fully compatible with Yosemite as a host AND as a guest" !

6. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

I had no problems creating a Yosemite VM with the latest build by creating it from the recovery partition. I believe creating from the recovery partition is the only method allowed for any OS X other than the Server OSs 10.5 and 10.6

7. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Replying to my own post - You can actually install using various methods for all OSs after those two as well. I think FredUntu is having issues independently of this...

8. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi Eytan,

Thanks for your private messages.
    But I herewith confirm that, on my machine, for an unknown reason, it is not possible. The "apple" to install OsX is NOT present in the choices of Os'es I can install. Why : it's a mystery to me. But again, as I said in private messages : I decide to get rid of PD and dual (even triple) boot my machine : one HDD with Yosemite regular ; one with Yosemite for testing ; one for Linux. Problem solved...
    Regards.

9. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

You still have not indicated if you do not have a recovery partition. It would be helpful information for all of us

10. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi Eytan,

I hava answered that question in the private conversation you started with me... so YES I have that.
    Anyways, as I said, I am not trying to install Yosemite in Yosemite anymore.
    I found a much simpler way to do it, and much cheaper and much more efficient by the way : that is to triple boot my MacPro.
    Just to let you know, if I compile a project in Linux from a VM, the compile takes 85 minutes average. The same project compiled from a native Linux takes about 48 minutes average... and that would be building to a rather slow HDD while the VM is located on an internal Samsung 850 Pro SSD.
    So : problem solved.
    Regards.

11. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Yes, I saw you answered. Thank you. Curious as to why mine worked no issues and yours did not. Again, I would recommend you investigate what may be going on with your machine.
    I would gather the speed differences have to do more with the number of cores in use in the VM vs when the machine is fully dedicated to an OS.