How do I Reinstall an Authentic Version of Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EdgemontF, Feb 5, 2015.

1. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I have Windows 7 installed in Parallels and bought a new CD of Windows 7 so I can get rid of the "this is not authentic" pop up.

How do I REINSTALL Windows 7 in Parellels when I already have Windows 7 running? This is not an Upgrade. Is there a way to do this without losing all my current Windows 7 settings? I just want to be able to enter the new Key in and stop getting the "not authentic" message.

Thank you

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello ,
    You can re-install Windows 7 using your CD/DVD even if you have a Windows 7 already installed.
    Follow the steps as suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/4729 to install a new Windows Virtual Machine and while installing please make sure that you uncheck the "Express Installation" option mentioned at Step:4 on the above provided link.
    You can have more than one Virtual Machine installed on your Parallels Desktop. The new Windows 7 will not affect your already installed Windows 7 Virtual Machine.
    If still the activation issue persists, please follow the steps suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/117845
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

3. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Thank you so much Mervin for your reply. I am a little confused though as the instructions #4 on the link you provided say I SHOULD have the Express Install checked. Are you saying I should ignore that and uncheck it? Then try and install the Parallel Tools manually as it says I will need to?

Also, what happens to the other "old" Windows 7 VM? When I go to launch Windows in the new VM, how will it know which one I need? Do I delete the old one? Sorry - I've never done this before! Thanks!

4. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I really need an answer to the above question as I must do this upgrade now. If I reinstall Windows 7 with the new disc I have and I supposed to check or uncheck "Express Installation?" How will I know which Windows 7 is which? Will there be 2 of them now in Parallels? What does this do to my existing software in the old Windows 7? Office? Quickbooks? Please can someone direct me how to do this? One last question - do I need to install the new Windows 7 I bought or can I update the existing one with the new Key?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!