Display resolution for Ubuntu 14.10 under Parallels 9

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bill Rising, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Has anyone been able to figure out how to get better than 800x600 resolution for Ubuntu 14.10 when running Parallels 9 on Mavericks? Parallels typically doesn't support newer Ubuntu releases with older versions of Parallels, but the KB says that this version of Ubuntu is supported.

I carefully matched the settings I have for the 14.10 VM with the settings I have for a 14.04 LTS VM.
    I tried to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Tools to no avail (clicking the Reinstall Parallels Tools menu item brings up the warning pane but does not mount the virtual disk).

Any tips would be appreciated, even the dreaded tip that I need to fork over my $49 for the annual Parallels update to get things to work properly.

2. paolol61

paolol61 Bit poster

I have the same problem, I also try to fix it using the step for 14.04 but no luck.
    Thanks for answering or question Parallels staff

3. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan Junior Member

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 in Parallels 9 last night, and initially had the 800x600 resolution problem. Have you tried reinstalling Ubuntu and checking if you can click "Virtual Machine" --> "Install Parallels Tools"? I was able to click that menu and go through the install process. After rebooting the resolution was fixed.

4. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Sadly, I have already tried installing Parallells Tools, uninstalling Parallels Tools, and reinstalling Parallels tools. Ubuntu 14.04 has had its own set of problems when updating, but by following others' fixes I've gotten it running fine. Ubuntu 14.10, on the other hand, has been a problem.

What I don't understand is that Ubuntu 14.10 is listed as being supported under Parallels 9.

5. DanielE2

DanielE2 Bit poster

Any news here? Same problem. It looks like the latest Xorg isn't supported. Parallels keeps prompting me to upgrade from v9 to v10 -- I can't justify that if they still don't support a version of Ubuntu released last October...

6. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Just a bump in the possibly vain hope that someone from Parallels will answer. I've also sent a support request directly to Parallels, and will report back whatever I hear.

7. JOHNF1

JOHNF1 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue on Parallels 10. Asked Parallels support on twitter:
    "Hi-plz submit PR ID http://bit.ly/1lUhbwK & email us the ID number along with issue description to cs(at)parallels(.)com Thx,MD"

Is that what you did, Bill? I don't really have the time to re-install 14.10 just to generate an error report for them.
    Related issue (also unresolved)? https://forum.parallels.com/threads/ubuntu-14-10-incorrect-graphics-drivers.322493/#post-764687
    Related issue 2? https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-tools-not-working-for-ubuntu-14-10-xorg-1-16.326755/

8. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

No, i decided to submit a ticket on the support page. After 6 days, I got a response telling me the issue was marked resolved and telling me to do what I had already done. I can sign up for a support session, also. No written instructions. No real help. Written instructions would be a whole lot more useful.

9. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

After some emails back and forth to Tech Support and my submission of a requested problem report, I got the following reply:

I requested that Parallels please remove some claims from the Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac: Updates Summary page (http://kb.parallels.com/en/117225), namely the following two claims:

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac (build 9.0.24251) supposedly 'Resolves an issue with Parallels Tools installation in Ubuntu 14.10 virtual machines', from which readers (such as me) might infer that Parallels Desktop 9 supports Ubuntu 14.10.​

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac (build 9.0.24237) supposedly 'Resolves an issue with Unity mode in Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machines', which makes it look like Parallels Desktop 9 also supports Ubuntu 14.04.
    From my experience, I've had no trouble with Ubuntu 14.04LTS under Parallels Desktop 9, but then I don't push the OS very hard. Upgrading Parallels Tools when upgrading 14.04LTS is miserable, but it can be done.

So... I'm going to give up trying to get Ubuntu 14.10 to work in Parallels Desktop 9 for the Mac. In all honesty, I never really expected 14.10 to work with Parallels 9, based on how past versions of Parallels worked with updated versions of Ubuntu. I thought there was a pleasant surprise when I read the upgrade notice for build 9.0.24251, but it was not to be. No real loss (other than several hours of wasted time).

10. RichardC2

RichardC2 Bit poster