Bug? VM can't allocate memory

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joem, Apr 22, 2006.

1. joem

joem Forum Maven

MacBook Pro 1.83, 2G RAM, Win2K Pro
    Allocated 1G RAM to VM, 8G disk

Start VM, use Windows, shut down Windows, attempt to restart VM, get message:
    VM Can't allocate memory
    Try reinstalling blah, blah

Shut down app (just click the little red ball), restart it, and all is well.
    Same result after clicking stop and selecting power off. Restart requires shutting app down completely.

Also once ejecting CD disconnected it and gave message (I'll write it down if it happens again). Inserting CD and selecting connect from right click menu made CD accessable but getting it out required shutdown of VM (and the whole app to get it started again).

Minor annoyance, but inelegant. USB more useful to me.

2. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I've seen this same error too. Quitting PW and restarting clears the error. But it'w hard to reproduce.

3. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I have seen this if I'm running some mac programs while booting the xp vm. Closing them and trying again seems to make parallels happy.

4. sef

sef Bit poster

I just ran into this, after upgrading my Mini to 2G of RAM. I have no other applications running, other than the processes that are supposed to run on the system, and it happens every single time I try to start my virtual machine (FreeBSD, with 256M of ram).

I'm very sad :(.

5. dweebert

dweebert Member

I've seen this a couple of times. Simply restarting Parallels makes the problem go away.

What is the "reserved memory limit" set to, in the Memory tab of the Parallels prefs?

6. sef

sef Bit poster

Again: it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME -- we're talking 12 times in a row here now. Across reboots. It's frustrating as heck.

Before I posted, I checked the "reserved memory limit", and set it to 256M. I'm getting kernel errors which make me think it's trying to allocate a gig ("Error:Too large memory block requested: 1024 (pmm.c:130)"), but I can see now way to change that behaviour. I have rebooted, I have reinstalled, and I am now stuck with something that doesn't work, and yet used to. (And the Mini is too difficult to take apart for me to just try going back to 512M and see if it starts working again.)

7. kenzo-san

kenzo-san Bit poster

Me too! This started happening the moment I upgraded to the RC version. I had been previously using the olders without a problem. Now, Parallels dies with this error every time I hit start:

Error:Too large memory block requested: 1024 (pmm.c:133)

:mad:

Kenzo