ubuntu 14.04 empty desktop

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by TimmoB, Feb 17, 2015.

1. TimmoB

TimmoB Bit poster

hi,

ubuntu 14.04 (pvm is stored at external SSD-drive) worked fine till today.
    I am able to login, desktop is shown with the background image but is now empty, cannot click or enter anything in VM...if I click to reinstall parallels tool nothing happens.

can anybody help?
    thank you very much in advance

Timmo

2. SergeyL

SergeyL Parallels Team

Hello Timmo,
    are you running Parallels Desktop 10 or 9?

3. KimS1

KimS1 Bit poster

I just got the same symptoms, I think Parallels 10 had just updated to 28883. This VM is now unusable.

I'm not sure if support ticket 27160-13650 submitted properly. At the contact info screen it acts like it's submitting but brings me back to the same screen without any errors.

4. SergeyL

SergeyL Parallels Team

Hello Timmo,

27160-13650 is not a support ticket. it is your support code necessary when submitting a ticket.

Try to uninstall the existing Parallels Tools from your Ubuntu VM:

1. Start Ubuntu VM
    2. Launch Terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+t
    3 Run

sudo /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install -r

4. Reboot your virtual machine and check whether Unity is working now
    5. If Unity works OK now, reinstall Parallels Tools

5. KimS1

KimS1 Bit poster

Hi Sergey,
    I uninstalled Parallels Tools and did get some functionality back. I could right-click on the background for a context menu, and clunkily browse directories, start an xterm from its directory, and start windowed programs from that. For some reason the window manager was not operating, so there was only one window on top at any time, with no way to switch windows. In the end I created a new Ubuntu VM and reinstalled our development environment. It ate an entire day, but on the plus side I got a lot of the environment setup documented!
    As an aside, I think I was trying to create a ticket with the support code but the submission wasn't working for unexplained reasons.
    Kim