Ubuntu 7.04 tools wont open/install

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mattngc, Aug 6, 2007.

1. mattngc

mattngc Bit poster

Hi,
    I've read a number of threads about installing the parallels tools under linux (Im new to the OS) but I cant find anything on the following errors.

When I click "actions - install tools" the Image loads on the desktop. The first time I tried this I just clicked the "parallels tools.run" icon but a window opens saying "could not open file /media/cdrom0/parallels-tools.run. gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.

The character coding box is set to Current Locale (UTF-8)

I've tried using the terminal commands others have mentioned in other threads but I cant get them to work. Using the sudo sh parallels-tools.run command I get "sh: can't open parallels-tools.run."

I'm not sure if i've mounted the image correctly but it shows on the desktop.

Any help or ideas would be great.

2. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Did you read the manual (PDF) and follow the instructions?

It didn't work for me at first, but then I read the instructions and it worked great in Ubuntu 7.04.

=)

3. mattngc

mattngc Bit poster

Instructions

Yeah i read the guide on page 90.

I'm fairly sure the CD is mounted. When I type the command "mount CDROM" it says it is already mounted on media/cdrom

but when I them go to the next stage and type "sudo sh parallels-tools.run" the terminal asks for the password but then says "sh: can not open parallels-tools.run"

4. Frank STENGEL

Frank STENGEL Junior Member

did you change directory to the cdrom? That is used something like:

cd /media/cdrom/

After having mounted the cdrom and before doing

sudo sh parallels-tools.run

5. mattngc

mattngc Bit poster

Cool

Thanks alot for the help everyone, it turns out I wasn't changing the directory in terminal, just didn't know how to do it.

Thanks it works great now.

6. Whoopage

Whoopage Bit poster

Sorry to dig up an old thread - but I am having simaliar issues.

I get so far as to run parallels-tools.run in terminal, and I see the following:

You are about to start installing Parallel Tools. Save your data and close all applications to prevent data loss during possible X-Server restart.
    Continue ? [Yes / No]

And no matter what I type here (yes, no, even exit) the above prompt just repeats indefinitely. Any ideas?

7. mattngc

mattngc Bit poster

you need to make sure you are typing Yes. it wont work with yes, Y, YES etc...

8. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

If what I am reading is correct, I need the actual Installation CD in order to install Parallels Tools? Can you install Parallels Tools with the DMG file that is downloaded?

If not, I'm at a loss on how to do it. I have tried to install it, but what CD do I mount if I don't have a CD??? (Yeah, a newbie to Linux). How do I setup a two-part Linux Appliance?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  9. strongesthylian

strongesthylian Bit poster

I'm new as well, but here's what you do:
    1) In the Parallels Desktop menu, go to Actions, then Install Parallels tools.
    2) After that, it gives you very vague instructions on what to do. Click OK.
    3) A CD should automatically mount inside your virtual machine.
    4) Open Terminal inside the Virtual Machine
    5) type "cd /media/cdrom"
    If that doesn't work, try "cd /media/cdrom0"
    6) Now that you're inside the cdrom, which contains the parallels tools installation,
    Type "sudo sh parallels-tools.run"
    7) It should prompt you for your password
    8) Follow instructions.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

10. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

thank you very much... I will try it.

11. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

Did you have a Parallels CD Rom or did you have the downloaded version of Parallels?

12. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

Thank you -- It worked! I couldn't have done it without your help!

13. MacAttac

MacAttac Bit poster

Puzzled

I seem to be having the same problem. I open the guest linuxOS (openSuse), run the parallels tools action in MacOSX, open the terminal, change the device to the cd with "cd /media/cdrom or cdrom0", linux says there's no such thing in the etc/fstab or etc/mtab.