BSOD on startup of Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Bullwrinkle, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

Hello, I have installed Parallels 10 on my early-2011 MacBook Pro and importing my Bootcamp Disc into the VM. This seems to work okay. The problem is attempting to boot from the Bootcamp Partition results in the BSOD. I have tried reinstalling Windows 7 and also restoring from a Winclone image which allows me to boot from my Bootcamp after install. I then "import" my Bootcamp into my VM and that seems to work. I try to boot from the Bootcamp Partition and get the BSOD. I have just spent the better part of the weekend reinstalling Windows 7 again but am looking for clues as to a solution before attempting to create a VM again.

P.S. I am using Yosemite 10.10.2 on my Pro with Parallels 10.1.4 (28883)

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Bullwrinkle,

Please try uninstall Parallels Tools from Virtual Machine and try to boot through bootcamp.
    Go to Control Panel - Programs and Features - select Parallels Tools from the list and uninstall.

Let us know the status.

3. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

Hello Abdul,
    I have not created a VM from my recent re-install of Windows 7 in Bootcamp so I can't try that yet. One thing I noticed with my previous attempts was that Parallels 10 gives a message about upgrading Bootcamp during the creation of the VM. I am curious as to what is going on during this upgrading process. Is there a way to create the VM and not install Parallel Tools automatically?

4. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

Hello again Abdul,
    I just created a new VM from my Bootcamp partition successfully, as usual. I played around with my settings and such to make sure it acted right, then restarted into Yosemite. I used Bootchamp to start into Windows and it worked with no problem. All it took was a clean install of Windows I guess. One strange thing about my former install was that the Windows "startup manager" (?) identified my "repaired" install as "Windows Vista Business (recovered)" which I found strange since I had installed Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.

5. Abdul@Parallels

Hi Bullwrinke,

Glad that you were able to install and run Windows successfully.
    In the configure you might have selected OS type to Windows Vista or was your bootcamp OS upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows Vista ? (So that could be a possible way of displaying as Windows Vista).

6. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

Hi Abdul, The strange part is I originally installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a new Bootcamp partition created with Snow Leopard and an earlier version of Parallels, maybe as early as 6. I have went through all the upgrades of Mac OS X up to Yosemite and Parallels through 9 with no problems. It was only after Parallels 10 that I ran into a glitch. It only identified as Vista Business after attemted repairs; strange.

7. Abdul@Parallels

Hi Bullwrinke,

On the Virtual Machine please go to Start Menu -> Run -> Type msconfig and hit enter -> select boot tab and let us know the OS name.

8. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

Hello Abdul,
    This probably wouldn't do anything since I did a reformat and clean install of my Bootcamp partition and it identifies as Windows 7 on the boot manager now.
    Thanks for your input however,
    Bullwrinkle

9. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

This was the "repaired" version: Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 12.48.45 PM.jpg

10. Abdul@Parallels

It would have happened if the upgrade had some conflicts and the Boot.ini file wouldn't have changed.

Anyways as you had done a complete re-install which fixed it.

Feel free to reach us anytime, we are happy to help you.

11. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 12.50.59 PM.jpg Hello again,
    This is what I get now, after clean install: Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 12.50.59 PM.jpg

12. Bullwrinkle

Bullwrinkle Bit poster