restored .pvm to new build of macbook

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KenKnight, Feb 26, 2015.

1. KenKnight

KenKnight Junior Member

Hi all,

I had to rebuild my macbook from scratch recently and I restored my .pvm files, however, when I try to start them I get an "Unable to connect to Hard Disk 0". I've done a bunch of research and I can't find any clear instructions about this particular error. I did find some regarding GUID's and snapshots but that doesn't appear to be working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

3. KenKnight

KenKnight Junior Member

Nope didn't help a bit. Not sure if it matters, but most of the relative information I've found uses the phrase "Unable to connect to Hard Disk 1" while mine is saying Hard Disk 0.

Thanks
    ken

4. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Ken, unable to connect hard disk 1 and 0 both does has the same solution, the 1 and 0 is just the location of the hard disk.
    Please submit a Technical Support request at http://www.parallels.com/support/request/ , one of our Engineers will assist you with this issue.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Was the VM Bootcamp based?

6. KenKnight

KenKnight Junior Member

No, these that have the Hard Disk 0 error are all true VM's.

Thank you, I will submit a ticket.

7. RicardoM1

RicardoM1 Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem with a New Macbook. Have tried copying again the .pvm files but still the same. Could you solve your issue ¿?

8. RobB1

RobB1 Bit poster

Same problem here after installing a new HDD in iMac. KB article 116508 was not helpful, as the parent GUID appears to be the correct one. Please post a solution to this (increasingly) common problem. Thanks.

9. Hi, I've checked the support the KenKnight ticket and our support engineer suggested to perform all steps from this KB
    and also provided him with the following information:
    1. After performing TestDisk utility - original virtual hard disk can be fully workable or can fail at boot attempt.
    2. In case you still will be unable to boot original Virtual Machine please try to mount virtual hard disk via Parallels Mounter:
    - Launch Parallels Desktop.
    - Right-click Parallels Desktop icon in the Dock -> click Virtual Machine list.
    - Right-click the Virtual Machine you would like to access -> Show in Finder.
    - In the Finder: Right-click the Virtual Machine .pvm file -> Open with Parallels Mounter.
    - Virtual Machine hard disks will appear in the Finder Sidebar as external drives.
    For more information please follow this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/118738