How to restore the list of Mac shared applications, on Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bertrand, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Bertrand

Bertrand Member

Hello,

I use Win7 (last update) as guest OS.
    I use Parallels 10 (last build) on MaOS 10.9.5

The list of Mac shared application is now empty on Windows. How Can I restore it?
    I tried the following without any result:
    - disabling then re-enabling Mac application sharing on Windows
    - reinstalling the Parallels tools for Windows
    - reinstalling Parallels Desktop 10 (without uninstalling before)

Any help is very much welcome. Many thanks in advance.

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello Bertrand,

Please follow the steps suggested below:

1) Go to Virtual Machine configuration (http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287) > Options > Uncheck Shared Profile.

2) Uncheck Share Mac applications with Windows from Virtual Machine configuration > Options > Applications.

3) Uninstall and re-install Parallels Tools as suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4841

4) Go to Virtual Machine configuration and enable both Shared profile and Share Mac applications with Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

3. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I have done all of this in my Win 8.1 Pro x64 VM and Parallels Desktop Version 10.1.4 (28883). I noticed the apps have been gone since the last update. This has become very frustrating/infuriating as I use Antix SMTP Imposter while developing to test email as used Postbox (Thunderbird Clone) to view the .eml files. There are absolute NO applications listed and I can't get them to return no matter what I do. I have fixed permissions using the Disk Utility, restarted Yosemite and the VM, uninstalled/re-installed the Parallels tools in the VM and the above instructions and I get NOTHING.... Nothing but a folder at: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Parallels\Shared Applications with a desktop.ini file inside of it. All the *(Mac).exe files are non-existant.

I really wish there was a way manually add specific apps from command line but I'm not finding anything on that front either. I'm not even seeing any related events in the log console though I may not be looking in the right place.

If I can find what .app (or what) may be causing the error I can work around it, but I haven't found anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I just want back what was working before as I had become accustomed to how well it was integrated previously.

4. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi TS-Micah,
    Updating or upgrading your Parallels Desktop will not affect your Virtual Machine or any other applications that you have installed inside the VM.
    1. Please go to VM Config -> Hardware -> Security -> Enable : Isolate Windows from Mac ( http://kb.parallels.com/112942 )
    2. Now uninstall Parallels Tools completely by going to Control Panel -> Programs and Features.
    3. Restart the Virtual Machine.
    4. Now click on Start -> Run -> Type : %temp% -> PrlToolsPackages -> Double click on Setup and select : Yes
    5. This will re-install Parallels Tools directly from the setup file.
    6. After installing Parallels Tools from the setup file, disable the option : Isolate Windows from Mac under VM Config -> Hardware -> Security
    7. Reboot your Virtual Machine once again and then check if you are able to access the file.
    8. Make sure the Sharing profile is enabled under VM config -> Options -> Sharing.
    9. If the issue still persists, try to retrieve the Virtual Machine from the time machine backup from the date where you were able to access those applications
    and check if that helps you to resolve this issue.

5. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Nadda, still nothing. With the last update there was an update for the Parallels Tools as well. Ever since that installed I haven't been able to use mac apps in my Windows VM. I recall doing this as well, but just did it and no luck. For whatever reason it seems though it runs into an error when it's trying to populate the the mac apps on the VM. I'll test my other Window's VM's later tonight. This is a production dev VM so I need it during the day. I noticed in the log console that there's an entry for populating the apps, but I haven't spotted any errors - I haven't looked too deeply at it either - this too I will do later. I'll post my findings, if any when I have a chance to scour the logs more thoroughly.

6. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi,
    Could you please generate a Problem Report ID as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and post the Problem Report ID here so that we could check it for you.
    NOTE: It is very important to generate a Problem Report ID as soon as the issue appears. Please keep the Virtual Machine window open and in focus (to focus it, click inside or on the window) when submitting the Problem Report.

7. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Okay, I finally figured it out!!!!

The other day I downloaded MSIE VMs for Parallels from Modern.IE. I noticed that the Mac Apps were in the corresponding folder in the User Profile. This let me to conclude that the problem isn't with Parallels on the Mac side, but within Windows - possibly a permissions error or something.

So...
    • I removed the folder in the Windows VM %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Parallels and the log at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\parallels.log (To hopefully isolate what is going on in Windows if the problem persisted).
    • I repeated the steps:
      • Isolating the VM
      • Uninstalling Parallels Tools
      • Rebooting
      • Reinstalling Parallels Tools from the ISO file under Parallels Desktop.app/Resources/Tools/prl-tools-win.iso
      • Powering Off the VM
      • Unchecking the Isolation setting in the VM config
      • Powering On the VM
      • Logging In
        Note: At this point the Mac apps were STILL not there.
      • Checked the Share Windows Applications with Mac (no items underneath selected)
      • BAM! The apps started populating in the folder!!! After they all showed up I unchecked the Share Windows Applications with Mac and the apps remained.
    I would seem that the population is linked to the Share Windows Apps with Mac setting for some reason. In any case, it's working at the moment and I'm VERY HAPPY!!!

8. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

*It would seem...