No application icons in Dock

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BenB1, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BenB1

BenB1 Bit poster

System setup is: Office 2013 in Windows 8.1 in Parallels 10 virtual machine on OS X Yosemite (10.10.2). This is on a new MacBook Pro, so everything is freshly installed.

When I start an Office application in the Windows VM, it does not create a matching application icon in the Dock like it used to. The Dock contains a Parallels Desktop icon, and a Windows 8.1 icon, but nothing for - say - Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint when they are open.

Have tried re-installing Parallels tools, but that didn't help. This behavior occurs whether or not I'm in Coherence view.

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ben,
    Please uninstall Parallels Tools completely from the control panel and re-install it again as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/4841
    Go to Virtual Machine Configuration -> Security -> Ensure : Isolate Windows from Mac option is disabled.
    Go to Virtual Machine Configuration -> Options -> Sharing -> Ensure Shared profile option is enabled.
    Also, enable : Show Windows applications in Mac Dock option under VM Config -> Options -> Applications.
    Now check if you are able to view the Windows applications folder in your Mac dock.

3. BenB1

BenB1 Bit poster

Hi Maheesh,

I carried out all these steps, and it still doesn't work. I have Windows 8.1 running within Parallels, and when I just opened MS Powerpoint no icon for it appeared in the dock. All I see in the dock are the icon for Parallels Desktop and the icon for Windows 8.1

4. BenB1

BenB1 Bit poster

Just noticed I didn't really answer your question. After I followed the steps, there is a Windows applications folder in the dock.

*However* the folder doesn't actually contain any of the MS Office applications I have installed. It just shows Administrative Tools, System Tools, and some links to My Documents and other folders.