problem with loading windows since WD my cloud was used

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GregoryM1, Mar 5, 2015.

1. GregoryM1

GregoryM1 Bit poster

I am using a wireless backup with time machine on my mac. When I am away from the wireless hard drive and launch parallels - windows has an error that it can not find that hard drive's IP and won't load... Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any suggestions?

(The WD forum moderator sent me here....)

Thanks,
    greg

2. RogerN1

RogerN1 Bit poster

Same problem here. I keep getting a message saying it can't locate a server at an address on my router. VERY frustrating. I believe it has something to do with Parallels Tools...once installed (v 10.1.4.28883) the system is basically unusable because nothing can happen while Win 8.1 is looking for this server address. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WDC software for the MyCloud server, but that did not help.

3. RogerN1

RogerN1 Bit poster

And now that I've uninstalled Parallels Tools, I'm a) no longer getting the "can't find server" message, and b) can no longer access the files on the Mac side of my computer. At least the PC side is working again, though in isolation. But it is very frustrating and not even close to being as useful as the way it was before Tools broke the coherence and sharing modes.

GregoryM1 likes this.
  4. GregoryM1

GregoryM1 Bit poster

so are you better off uninstalling parellels and just using bootcamp? That stinks - there has to be a better solution out there! Thanks for the suggestion on tools though - i may have to do that... Other than no longer being able to share the files with the Mac side of things - any other performance issue?

5. RogerN1

RogerN1 Bit poster

I find that Windows 8.1 works fine in isolation inside the Parallels VM shell, and that you can easily go back and forth between partitions. What's missing is the integration of the two, the sharing of files, and the additional elements that Parallels Tools provides (sound, etc.). It's a shame something has created a bug. I will also say that it does not appear to be happening with the Win 7 VM on my iMac that's in the same network. I suppose I could downgrade to Win 7 on my laptop to circumvent the problem...but that's an enormous amount of effort to fix a problem that Parallels Tools shouldn't have created to begin with.

6. josephl2

josephl2 Bit poster

It sounds like those issues are similar with the one found on this article > http://kb.parallels.com/en/122806
    There could be links that are not working or missing, from that article you can locate those alias or links that causes those errors

The Parallels Tools are Windows Drivers for the Parallels Desktop virtual machine and are needed to make the Windows access the Mac files. If it's not installed then you cannot access or share files between Mac and Windows.

RamyaS likes this.
  7. RogerN1

RogerN1 Bit poster

Joseph- thank you so much for sharing this information. It was exactly my problem. And removing the alias resolved it.

josephl2 likes this.
  8. GregoryM1

GregoryM1 Bit poster

this worked for me as well. thank you!!!