Windows 8 VM Size?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ThomasM2, Mar 4, 2015.

1. ThomasM2

ThomasM2 Bit poster

So I am running Wndows 8 on Yosemite with Parallels 10.1.4...

Today I noticed there are two files, 44GB each for Windows 8. There is a Windows 8.pvm and a Windows 8-0.hdd.0.{5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}.hds.

Is there supposed to be both of these files? Is there a way to save space?
    I also noticed today when I copy a file from Mac to the Windows Desktop, it no longer shows it is copying. Instead it just shows up there instant. I am using the same MBP I have alleyways used, changed nothing that I know of.

Any ideas?

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi ThomasM2,
    PVM file (Parallels Virtual Machine) is the file which contains all necessary files to run a Virtual Machine. It's your Virtual Machine. Within the .pvm file you have .hdd file and .hds file, the size of the .hds file will be equal to the size of the .pvm file.
    Please let us know, if the .pvm file and and .hds file are in different locations.
    Make sure you don't remove any of the files within the .pvm file bundle (.hdd, .hds )

To copy files from Mac to Windows, please (re)install Parallels Tools as suggested http://kb.parallels.com/4841 and then go to VM Config( kb.parallels.com/117287 ) > Options > Sharing > Enable Shared Profile.
    Set 'Share folders' to "Home Folder" only.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015