out of my element

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JeffY1, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JeffY1

JeffY1 Bit poster

hi, I'm totally in over my head here. i have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) that is still currently running OS X Lion 10.7.5. I'm running Parallels 6 on it, so that i can access/operate only 2 programs that will not run on Mac. i am using Windows 7 for this. so, you can see, I'm outdated on all of this. My biggest priority is to upgrade my Mac OS, but to do this, i would need to upgrade both Parallels and Windows. what would be the best procedure to do all of this, hopefully spending the least amount of $. can i (should i) get windows 8, and create a new VM for it on the existing OS X, just to make sure its compatible, or is this even possible with Parallels 6 ? any guidance here would be GREATLY appreciated ! thanks

2. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I'm almost in the same boat. I'm using Parallels 7 because after many headaches I finally have it working to my needs and I'm happy with how it works. I've also been worried that if I upgraded something will go wrong and I'll be stuck without access to my programs. Now after all kinds of backups I'm wanting to try to upgrade to Parallels 10 and Yosemite but I found out that Parallels 7 is like a bastard child that Parallels won't let me upgrade, I have to buy a complete license just like if I were a new customer.

If I have to buy a new full license I'm considering testing VMware Fusion 7 to try their support and products. I can't understand how easy Parallels is willing to lose a customer.