Copy in the command line to mounted hdd image

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ebernet, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Hello,
    I am trying to use cp or rsync from the command line on Yosemite (host) to copy to a mounted .hdd image created using Parallels 10.1.2. I have tried creating a dynamic (expanding) disk and a fixed size disk. I have found the disks, that in the Finder appear as "[C] <name of disk>", to appear in a hidden folder in /Volumes, .PEVolumes, with a long name that looks like a UUID of some kind.
    When copying to them I get my initial folder/file created (I am trying to recurse), but after that I get I/O errors. In rsync I get error 23 and error 5, and in the straight up cp command I get "No such file or directory" errors for my destination...
    I have tried creating an invisible folder on my local HD and copying into it with the same commands, and I have no such issues. I am assuming this has to do with the way the guest disk is mounted in the host filesystem.
    My goal is to copy files to a disk that will appear as a local (i.e. non removable) disk once the vm is loaded so as to improve copying performance from launching the VM, mounting the host disk, and copying files over that way (this will be presented to the guest OS as a network share and therefore use network protools to copy the files).
    Is there a way to get around this issue and copy the files from the host to the guest from the command line? I have no problems copying them in the finder....

2. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

This issue was resolved by me. The error was inaccurate and related to an inaccurate password being used for a mount_smbfs call.

3. Nikhil@Parallels

Nikhil@Parallels Parallels Support

HI EytanB,

Great! Glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue. Feel free to reach us any time if you have any feedbacks or questions.