Installation of XP Fails

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by hfdx, Aug 3, 2007.

1. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

I have version 3.0 of Parallels, and MS Windows XP Home Edition that I am trying to install on a MacBook with 2 GB of memory, running Mac OS X version 10.4.10.

I select the Windows Express installation, and insert the XP installation CD upon command, type in the registration number, and the installation proceeds up to the OS Window where I see:

640KB Base Memory
    524288 KB Extended Memory
    Boot from hard drive...

and that is where everything stops. I never get to Windows XP no matter how long I let the computer sit there.

How do I get XP installed and booted?

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Is it a home edition with sp2?

3. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

Yes, it has SP2

4. aclaver

aclaver Member

When you say the installation proceeds, do you mean the XP installation proceeds. In other words, has Parallels seen the CD and started the Windows installation process? Does the installation restart after the text-based installation section of Windows XP installation?

5. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

I got a reply to my post that said, "select the boot sequence that says "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy".

This fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.

6. Rick Stewart

Rick Stewart Bit poster

Where was this message and where can the choice of bootup option be located? I am having the same problem with XP Home sp2

7. Rick Stewart

Rick Stewart Bit poster

I found the options in Preferences. Changing the boot options did not help.

8. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

I can't find it either, but here is what you do. If you have tried to install before, when you start up Parallels desktop it will go to window called "Microsoft Windows XP - Parallels Desktop" There will be red letters saying "suspended" or "stopped". Click on the word "Configuration" right above the resources list. You will get a window called "Configuration Editor". Select CD/DVD-.... and you get CD/DVD-ROM Options. There is a pull down menu or radio button selection-I forget. You have to select CD/DVD-ROM as the default. What is happening is that it is trying to boot from the hard drive, you want it to boot from the CD (I guess the program assumes you are upgrading)(Windows XP CD has to be in the CD drive). Once you select that, start the installation all over again. Now instead of stopping at the boot window, it will grab the CD and start the installation process. At least that is what I did. Another warning: I have build 4128 (see info). There is later build that is all fubared or at least a lot of folks seem to have trouble with it. Good luck.

9. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

No, No, I told you wrong. In the configuration editor, select "Options". There is a section to the right that lets you select "General", "Booting", or "Advanced". Select Booting. Under "Boot Sequence" select the radio button CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy. Now it will go the CD.
    Sorry.

10. aclaver

aclaver Member

This is the expected behavior of a Windows XP installation. For systems with no hard drive partition table (like in a new virtual hard drive), XP installation has to partition the drive and then reboot to activate the new partition table. XP installation expects the CD to remain in the drive and so it must be the first booting device so the installation can continue.

Unfortunately, Parallel sets the BIOS in the new VMs to the HD, CD-ROM, Floppy boot sequence so that the first reboot fails (since the HD is there but doesn't contain a bootable OS).

Seems like they should set the BIOS to CD-ROM, HD, FD sequence as seems to be the default in physical computers.

Glad someone gave you the correct info to get setup properly. You'll like Parallels. You'd also like VMWare Fusion - both are fine products with many more good features than troublesome issues. I'm going back and forth now to decide which to keep using.

11. Rick Stewart

Rick Stewart Bit poster

I got it working. What happened for me is the Windows installation stopped mid way. I had to go back to the parallels desktop and check the configuration of the options. I had them set correctly as you suggest above, so I went back to the windows installation where it found the CD a second time and finished the intstalation.

They really need to warn us that this will happen and that we will need to continue the install for a second time from the CD.

Thanks again,

12. Rick Stewart

Rick Stewart Bit poster

I think I fumbled my way into getting it to install. Now I know why. Thanks for the addtional info!

13. gproud

gproud Bit poster

Tried it all, still the same problem. I give up.

14. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

Perhaps you should describe your problem in detail on the discussion board. There are some really smart people here.

I understand your frustration. Had it myself.

15. gproud

gproud Bit poster

My problem was already described in detail by many others on the discussion board. I got a little further last time I tried with the disk image, but it hung up again. Giving up.

16. shair

shair Bit poster

I am having the same sort of issue, but can not figure out how to try the suggested remedies.

Upon installation of parallels, I inserted cd of xp when prompted. After a minute or so a blue screen with simply

"File setupdd.sys could not be loaded.
    The error code is 7

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

puts in an infinite loop of pressing any key and showing the error. Once the program was quit, upon launching parallels, it shows a "suspended" windows xp - parallels desktop config.

I tried uninstalling, throwing away, reinstalling, etc. several times, also tried changing the config to cd for boot, but never got the option to reinstall windows, which just comes up suspended.

17. hfdx

hfdx Junior Member

It is amazing how many people are having trouble installing this sucker.

I never got that error code. I don't know how to fix it. BUT I suggest you check the build number. My Parallels is build 4128. I get the impression from reading the discussions that 4128 is more stable than the latest version.

There are plenty of smart and kind people here. If you keep posting and ranting as I did, someone will come to your aid.

18. scarygary

scarygary Bit poster

I have build 4128 on my Macbook, but build 1260 on my PC. When I try to migrate from my PC to my Macbook, I am told that my build numbers don't match. What can i do about this?

19. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

For Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 4128 you need Parallels Transporter build 1240, here is the link - http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Tsp-3.0.1240-Win.exe.

20. shair

shair Bit poster

I hav ben unsucessful in finding a link to dl build 4128 as of yet... I have 4560 now, and seem very much stuck in the loop with it not installing and me hitting any key to continue.

Anyone have a link to 4128?

Thanks