Halo for PC -- no go

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by daigoro, Aug 5, 2007.

1. daigoro

daigoro Bit poster

Hi. I'm just posting this in case anyone is curious how well Halo for PC runs via Parallels.

The initially installed Halo works. It is pretty well unplayable -- everything runs very slow: Master Chief, the marines, the bad guys. This is with all the Halo graphics options turned down to minimum. And of course with "Use DirectX" checked in the Parallels Video settings for the VM. I gave 64 MB to VRAM (the maximum) and 768 MB to RAM. Build 5060.

When you go to play Multiplayer, Halo requires a patch to 1.0.7. Halo guides you through the install. Once the install is complete, the graphics no longer work at all. (The initial videos play, but once the regular menu tries to appear, you just see a pulsing background color. (I verified this latter problem in builds 5060 and 4560).

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

3. daigoro

daigoro Bit poster

At no point did I say Parallels said that Halo would work. One can't conclude Halo won't work just because it's not on the list. I had a look and confirmed it doesn't work.

My post is for those who are googling Halo & Parallels and don't know all the fine points around DirectX versions, etc.

4. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

As an original Halo fan the only version that seems to work well at all is the original XBox format. I've tried the Mac version on my PPC Powerbook and the PC version on a PC. Maxxed-out RAM in both cases. But neither is up to the XBox version in terms of responsiveness.

5. daigoro

daigoro Bit poster

Hi John. That's cool that you can get great response on the XBOX. My clan plays the PC Custom Edition. To play Custom Edition with my clan I have to use Parallels or Boot Camp.
    But base Halo doesn't work well through Parallels yet though.